White Slipcovers

By , February 10, 2010 11:18 am

BLAST FROM THE PAST POST (Originally published on May 23, 2007) – Having fun digging out some old stuff!

++++++++++

I did a silly thing.

With child number three, we finally outgrew our small kitchen table. I ordered this great table with the green chairs from West Elm. The table arrived and I LOVE it! It looks fabulous in my green kitchen area and is nice and big for meals, homework, projects (clutter), etc.

But…I ordered the cushions too. The chair cushions are a lovely, minimalist white. WHAT WAS I THINKING??? They have washable covers, but do I really want to be removing cushion covers and washing them every day? I have enough daily laundry to do without adding more to it. Plus, what about spaghetti sauce? Will that come out or will I need to dye the covers red to match the stains? Maybe we should just eat white food from now on. Potatoes, pasta, milk, ice cream (vanilla)…

This reminds me of one of my pet peeves. Decorating magazines that feature “families” with cute little blonde curly-haired angels running around the immaculate garden in adorable white outfits. These families always have elegant minimalist living rooms in varying shades of white with sisal rugs. The room is completely decorated with “flea market finds” and boasts (and this is the kicker) a WHITE SLIPCOVERED SOFA on which the family greyhound is reclining comfortably.

The glamorous, yet natural-looking mother always offers up some savvy decorating wisdom, such as: “Seek out flea market pieces that have good bones.” Or, “I like to decorate with white slipcovers because you can just pull them off and throw them in the wash!” With a house full of toddlers and sofa-sleeping greyhounds, this mother (or her maid) must be washing her slipcovers five times a day.

My slipcovers would be living in my laundry room. My sisal rug would have cat barf on it (How does one clean cat vomit out of the fibers of a sisal rug anyhow? With a toothbrush?). Do Lazy-Boy recliners have “good bones?” Where do I find a flea market near me? We have garage sales, thrift stores and a “swap meet,” but unless your decorating style is “Early Salvation Army” or involves antlers, you might be a bit disappointed with the availability of elegant antique bargains where I live.

So, this brings me back to my dilemma. What do I do with white kitchen chair cushions? I am simply not as brave as those “magazine moms.” Mine are in a box in the attic to be brought out when my children are in college.

PS. I thought about cleaning off the table for the photo, but decided that it was more interesting to simply capture a moment in time from a “real mom’s” house. I hope you appreciate my honesty.

11 Responses to “White Slipcovers”

1. That table looks pretty darn tidy to me. None of those papers are stuck to it with dried on orange juice for a start and I don’t see a single rogue cheerio! I’d keep those cushions in the box in the attic. Maybe give them to your first child to have children of thier own, to watch them be tormented as to what to do with them ;)
    .-= Kitten Muffin´s last blog ..Toilet roll tube valentine’s necklaces =-.

2. Phyllis says:

The decorating magazines are catering to the current trend which is to fade out all childhood. Children are often put in daycare or schools as early in age as possible and to keep them in there for the longest days as possible. Then children are supposed to be little adults by the time they are 9 years old. Where is the childhood?
    -Phyllis

3. PS~Erin says:

I love this post (and the cool green chairs)! Love your honesty and realness. No need for chair cushions at all. Pass ’em on!

4. Chrissi says:

My mother-in-law had lovely red chair cushions once. Before the birth of my now 7 1/2 year old son, Spawn. Spawn and his 1 1/2 year old cousin, Tiny Spawn, dump them on the floor under the dining room table, build forts with them, drag them around the house and yard, arrange them for my mother-in-law’s 110 lb. chocolate labrador to nap on top of…

Keep your cushions in the attic. ;) Your kids will move out on their own one day and you’ll have an adult meal/dinner party without mac & cheese or ramen noodles. Save them for THAT special occasion. ;)

I bought a couch with a blue denim slipcover 2 years ago. I’ve only felt compelled to wash the whole thing twice – both times were right before our annual Christmas party. It hides my husband’s hippie funk, my bulldog’s dirt and hair, and little boy grime really well the rest of the year!

Chrissi, Cyber School Mom
    .-= Chrissi´s last blog ..Part Snow Dog… =-.

5. Debs says:

THANK YOU!

(Thought it was just me!)
    .-= Debs´s last blog ..Lunch time. =-.

6. Christy says:

I think your table is very lovely!! I do appreciate your honesty!!

What Phyllis said about childhood is very sad. I have had people tell me to leave all breakable things out and just don’t let the kids touch anything… I think that children should be allowed to be children.

7. Teresa C says:

I see a table and chairs in a room with a view – perfect! Is that white berber?!

LOL! Yes, that is white berber and it has long since been replaced by wood. As you might imagine, white berber under a kitchen table in a home with children is a Bad Idea (wasn’t my idea, was there when we moved in).

9. thank you thank you.. i feel so sad sometimes cause we ‘live in our house’ i dont know how people do it who have white immaculate houses… I swear by our dark blue sofa.. it has so many stains… but you cant really tell… lol

10. Colleen says:

Great blog…I love honesty, it’s hard isn’t it, to put it all out there? I launched my blog recently (well sort of a long time ago but I’m back at it), but my last post will put those white cushions right into perspective…children need to be children, I know right now that my 4 are making an epic mess in the foyer?? building paper airplanes…it’s lovely- quiet and busy excitement are brewing, my children are happy and my house is mess…:) http://themomtastics.com/

11. […] am not one of these stylishly-dressed women with elegantly-decorated homes who swear they acquired their every single AMAZING possession via flea mar….  Their homes are usually white, their clothing black.  Do you know what I […]