Thrift Store Success!

By , March 9, 2011 7:27 pm

I am not one of these stylishly-dressed women with elegantly-decorated homes who swear they acquired their every single AMAZING possession via flea markets or thrift stores.  Their homes are usually white, their clothing black.  Do you know what I mean?

What is it with all the decorating magazines that feature “Thrift Store Style.”  Clearly those people are not from “these parts.” (Sorry, I am a bit obsessed with this topic.)

I really like thrift stores though.  I don’t like gambling, but I do get a teeny, tiny electric (gambling?) thrill every time I smell that unique thrift store scent.  I walk into a disorganized, messy, smelly space and see Possibilities (and junk). I have the chance of finding a treasure, the next Hope Diamond, or maybe just some cool books (or junk).

Books are my major weakness.  We have so many and we need no more. Yet I still crave the occasional unexpected thrift store book-find to keep me going.  I discovered  Flicka, Ricka, Dicka and Snipp, Snapp, Snurr at the thrift store.  Also, the amazing Cynthia Rylant Cobble Street Cousins series.  I found Science Experiments You Can Eat there too.

Today I went in searching for books for our school’s charity used book sale.  I know, you’re not supposed to SHOP for that!  You are supposed to purge, not acquire.  But I rationalize it this way:  I get the addictive thrill of thrift store book shopping, and when I buy, I have the satisfaction of knowing that my money goes to a good cause.  The books I buy will be sold at a sale benefiting a different good cause!  I am using books to help two worthy charities (and myself because it is fun).

I found a lot of great kids’ books today, but my favorite find was a giant collection of Origami books that had been dropped off mere moments before.  I left the 3D origami books behind (seemed too complicated and time-consuming), but bought nearly all the rest – for $5.00!!  I gave them $10 because it was for our local pet shelter, and it was a much better option for me than adopting yet another cat …

I hope you all like Origami and paper crafts.  I see big inspiration here!

15 Responses to “Thrift Store Success!”

1. Ann says:

Love doing origami! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

My daughters and I were at a thrift store today. Was VERY excited to find four 100% cashmere sweaters in beautiful colors that I’ve already felted and am looking forward to crafting with.
    Ann´s last blog post ..Simple Womans Daybook

I, too, have a weakness for thrift stores and books. We went to a book sale tonight and found some great books. Sure, we don’t need anymore, but the kids love them and I get a moment of silence.

As a side note, I thought of your blog today because my kids decided to give up tv for lent. It was not at my suggestion either and I’m looking forward to being unplugged for the next 40 days. My daughter did say later in the day that she’d rather give up school, but since we are unschoolers that’s not saying much ;)
    Heather´s last blog post ..My Lovely- Not Yet Working Stove

3. O, I too looooove picking up used books at thrift stores. Recently bought quite a few. What is it about books?! I can spend hours at a book store. It’s the best kind of entertainment I can ever think of…

Wait! I thought you were donating the books. How are you going to be doing origami? Just teasing. I too love the secret unbelievable finds while thrifting. I have yet to find the secret to the images portrayed in decorating books though.
    Heather´s last blog post ..A Difficult Date Day

5. Hunnidue says:

I love thrift stores! They are definitely a weakness of mine and strength all at the same time…just think of all the money you save:) And, I’m all about charitable giving to organizations out there that are doing their best to help those in need, which is why I want to share with you about the Humane Society of the United States. Did you know that less than 1/2 of 1% of their annual budget (which is roughly 150 million annually) goes to pet shelters. And, they have NO affiliation with local humane societies. The majority of their dollars goes toward lobbying and additional fundraising, not animal rescue. Please consider supporting your local pet shelter if you’d like to help animals. This link will give you more information on the truths about HSUS. http://www.yorknewstimes.com/articles/2011/03/09/editorials/doc4d76ca9b3f60a263252629.txt

6. Hunnidue says:

I’m wondering that since you went to a local thrift store if you actually did donate to your local shelter, not HSUS. If so, great!:), please just note that local humane societies are not affiliated with HSUS, the link you posted. Thanks for all your posts…I love reading Unplug Your Kids!:)
    Hunnidue´s last blog post ..And we’re off…

Thank you for this clarification. Yes, I have recently learned similar facts about the HSUS (I was shocked!). I do donate only to my local shelter. They are very much in need of funds and are even in danger of closing altogether. The thrift store I went to is run by my local shelter.

I forgot that I even put that link in there. I’ll take it out so as to avoid confusion.

Lol! Yeah, well…. you caught me! I kept the origami books, but I did find a whole load of great kids’ books for the sale though, so I feel justified! I think it is the whole surprise element that I love about thrifting. Sometimes there’s nothing, other times a treasure!

I agree! I am so happy that my children love books too.

If you lived in my area I’d invite you to our school book sale. The hard part is sorting through all the great donations without being tempted to start a pile for myself to buy ahead of time.

Let me know how your 40 days goes. Great choice on the part of your daughter, you made me laugh about the school comment though!

Oh what a cool find! I have yet to try felting, but it looks like fun and is on my list of things to do.

13. Hunnidue says:

What a great idea for your local humane society to run a thrift store! I appreciate you taking out the link. There are so many people who have no idea there is a difference and it’s doing more harm than good. Hopefully more people are made aware so that the support of local shelters increases so they can continue the good work and not have to worry so much about funding. Thanks for your reply:)
    Hunnidue´s last blog post ..And we’re off…

14. Karen B says:

I’m a thrift store addict, err, shopper, too. I gave up random thrift store shopping for Lent (I made an exception for myself for looking for a specific item, as long as I leave with only the item.).

And I do origami, too, for about the last 30 years off and on. I came up with a very practical use for origami a couple weeks ago. I was sending frosted cupcakes to my son’s class and wanted to prop up the foil on top so it wouldn’t stick to the frosting. I made a waterbomb base (http://dev.origami.com/images_pdf/waterbom.pdf), stood it up in the middle of the tray so it looked like a + from above, arranged the cupcakes around it, and draped the foil over it. No sticking!

My favorite folds are the flapping crane (very classic) and an inflatable rabbit.

How creative! I would never have thought of that particular practical use for an origami piece. I’ll bet it looked great too! Thanks for your comment and good luck with your avoidance of random thrift store shopping. (PS. I like the crane too, and the hopping frog :-) )