What is the Unplugged Project?
Sometimes we all need a little push (me included) to set aside our chores and have some creative fun with our children. The Unplugged Project is a monthly communal project which hopefully will inspire you and me to spend some high-quality but low-tech time with our little ones.
Every month I propose some sort of theme. I try to keep the monthly topic very general so that you can adapt it to your children’s ages and interests.
My goal is to create a small library of creative ideas for each theme.
How do I do the project?
How you do it or what you do, is entirely up to you.
Some people have been incorporating the theme into their home school curriculum, others like me, just do it for fun. Sometimes it is helpful to come up with a specific project for kids to do, other times it might be more fun to just present them with the theme and see what their imaginations come up with.
Interpret the theme as strictly or as loosely as you like. There really are no rules. The point is to turn off the TV and find time in a busy schedule to have some creative fun at least once a week.
How do we join in?
On the first day of every month I put up the Unplugged Project post which will always include a Mr. Linky for all the participants’ links. Here is the procedure:
1) Find out this month’s theme.
2) Sometime during the month, do the project with your little ones.
3) Write a post about your project, and post photos if you can.
4) Come back to Unplug Your Kids and put the link to your post (NOT just your blog) in Mr. Linky so that we can easily find your project.
5) You can do more than one project in the month if you have the time and inspiration. Just link separately to each project post.
6) Have fun visiting others to see what they came up with!
7) I will close the Linky on the first day of the following month and open a new one for a new theme.
Can I still participate even if I don’t have a blog?
Absolutely! You have two options:
1) Describe your project in a comment on that month’s Unplugged Project post.
Is there an age limit?
Of course not. As I said before, there are no rules, except to have fun.
If you are an adult and feel like having a little creative fun for yourself, please join us (no kids required).
Likewise, if you have a very young child whose artistic ability is still somewhat limited, join us anyway! No one expects masterpieces.
I think you’ll find that it’s a lot of fun. Personally, I always gather a few great new project ideas from all you talented and creative people out there. Hope to see you for the Unplugged Project!