Parallels

By , February 9, 2010 7:21 pm

+++++

Lately I have been extremely impressed with my 7 year-old son’s Lego-building skills.  Homework completion however, has reached an all time low.

Lately I have been extremely impressed with my procrastination skills.  Mandatory Boring Tasks completion however, has reached an all time low.

+++++

He sat ALL AFTERNOON at his desk with homework in front of him reading books.

I sat ALL AFTERNOON at my computer with bills, bank statements and half finished snail mail letters in front of me fiddling about (not very “unplugged” of me).

+++++

Wouldn’t you think that my son could just come up with a simple poster about a book he loved
(we’re not talking 200-page PHD dissertation here).

Wouldn’t you think that after 20 years of intense homework I’d be able to buckle down and write my long overdue letter, an essay for a contest, or even update my pilot logbook (that used to be my obsession in the old days when I wanted to be an airline pilot).

+++++

I think my son is struggling with his first experience of being overwhelmed and behind.

I think I am struggling with a mid-life Mom Crisis of not being sure of my role in life besides that of laundry and cooking machine.

+++++

Excuses, excuses, excuses.

6 Responses to “Parallels”

1. Carla Gibson says:

I loved this post! For my kids, we solve this by homeschooling… for myself, I have yet to find a perfect solution. But, the cause is the same – smart people will do anything to avoid something that is not interesting to them.

I try to use my timer and trick myself into just doing 15 min of a boring task or to handle 10 or 20 pieces of paper at a time. Similar to the techniques of the Flylady http://www.flylady.net

Good luck and don’t be too hard on the kids… unless you can remember every book you ever had to do a book report about. LOL!

2. Rana says:

I don’t think they are excuses. Sometimes it’s just hard to focus. When your heart is just not into it and you want to be doing other things sometimes you have to walk away from it and come back at a little bit later and just dig in.
    .-= Rana´s last blog ..Honey do time! =-.

Oh no! Don’t be so hard on yourself, it only makes you feel worse. My 7 yr old is Lego obsessed as well and would gladly stay home all day and build but I have him go to “cruel school”. I am so far from perfect but I’m just trying to ignore it! Just happy today that we have a snow day, only our 2nd all year!

4. Karin says:

Right there with you girlfriend! I’ve got to get a box in the post but I need to write the card first. Should be easy right? That’s just one thing on my ‘to do’ list that doesn’t involve laundry. :-)
    .-= Karin´s last blog ..Work from 2009 =-.

5. prasti says:

I have been extremely impressed with my 7 year-old son’s Lego-building skills. Homework completion however, has reached an all time low.

lol! this is also our oldest son…and he’s now 12 and nothing’s changed since then :). why can’t he put the same effort and creativity that he has for Lego building into his homework?

It’s always hard to force yourself to do something you don’t want to do. It doesn’t get any easier and we age, I think we just get used to it. After a long day of first one child and then another being difficult, along with cat and baby vomit, I’m wondering what else there is to life too.
    .-= Jenny´s last blog ..The Girls =-.