Thankful – Wine Cork Necklaces (Weekly Unplugged Project)

By , November 24, 2008 8:36 am

We did a fun thankful project last Thanksgiving for our Unplugged Project, but I felt we needed to find something different for this year’s thankful theme.

For a while now I have also been collecting wine corks to use for a craft.  I thought about this all week, and a miraculous inspiration came to me (for which I am thankful).  Thankful Necklaces!

Here’s what you’ll need:  wine corks, scissors, newspapers and magazines, white glue and/or Modge Podge, plus a necklace cord (yarn, string, ribbon, chain or leather perhaps?).  You’ll also need to make a hole all the way through the corks, we used a drill.

First drill a hole all the way through the corks.  The hole should be near the top of the cork:

Next comes the fun part.  Sit down with old newspapers and magazines and cut out words and small images that represent what you are thankful for.  Make sure they are small, because they’ll need to fit on the cork.

Once you have all your cutouts, use a small paint brush to paint white glue onto the back of each word or picture and stick it on the cork.  Keep in mind that there is not much room on a cork so you should start with the larger items and fit the smaller ones on top if necessary.

Don’t worry about covering the hole.  My daughter left hers uncovered but I covered mine and later poked a skewer through to open it.  If you do cover the holes though, be careful not to put anything too important over the top or it will be messed up when you open the hole later. (You could probably also drill the hole at the end after the decoupage is done and dry).

When you are done with the gluing and are satisfied with the result, cover the entire cork with watered down white glue or Modge Podge using your paintbrush.  It will take a few coats to become nice and shiny and hard.

Once the cork bead is completely dry, open the hole with a skewer if you covered it up with decoupage.

String the necklace cord through the bead and voila!  You have a thankful necklace!

This would be pretty and unusual combined with other beads.  Or how about some funky earrings?

You don’t have to stick with thankful as a theme either.  You could try colors, patterns, animals, anything!

I think I’ll make more of these.  They were so fun and the creative possibilities seem truly limitless. Plus, I really like how they turned out!

++++++++

Did you do the thankful Unplugged Project with us this week? If so, then please link to your project post (not just your blog) in Mr. Linky below. If not, but you think this sounds fun, then read more about how to join in the weekly Unplugged Projects here. We’d love to have you!

++++++++

Next week’s Unplugged Project theme will be:

Weather

Have fun!

++++++++

17 Responses to “Thankful – Wine Cork Necklaces (Weekly Unplugged Project)”

1. KateinNJ says:

Great idea!!
    I have a bowl filled with corks..just waiting for an idea.
    p and I are in this week.
    “Thank you” for putting these projects together!

KateinNJs last blog post..Group Unplugged Project..Thankful

2. Summer says:

I love this project! Now if only I could drink wine it would be perfect. LOL

What great necklaces. Thanks for the wonderful idea.

Heathers last blog post..Unplug your kids……Thankful

4. Your necklaces turned out great. Fun idea!

5. Annie says:

Love it! Those turned out so well. I’m definitely going to make some of these with my kids.

Annies last blog post..Broom Busting

6. Great idea! Stylish and thoughtful.

Julie K in Taiwans last blog post..Totem Pole Art

7. Alicia says:

Those are really darling! What a fun idea. We just did predictable stuff and got busy out of town with Thanksgiving so I didn’t blog about it. It felt odd to miss a week of unplugging! ;) I’ll see if we can do a quick weather project tomorrow to jump back in.

Alicias last blog post..10 Ways to Make Today Magical (Holiday Style)

8. [...] Thankful Cork Project from Unplug Your Kids [...]

9. Great crafty idea! I used a whole bunch of corks on a very large cork board, but I still have a ton leftover. Now I have an idea of what to do with them!

My cork board: http://mslistologist.com/?p=42

Mom Unplugged Reply:

Your cork board is fantastic! Wow! Have fun with the necklaces. We enjoyed making ours!

10. [...] Unplug Your Kids Thankful Wine Cork Necklaces [...]

11. [...] start it off with a link to a “thankful” project that we invented and [...]

12. Diana says:

I love this idea. It might be fun to make a Thanksgiving centerpiece out of them too. Same idea, without the necklace, just a fun bowl of Thankful corks that could be added to every year. Maybe date the ends?

13. Staci says:

What a creative idea! It’s always nice to see some new ideas for an old craft item. I might do these with the kids when the family is in town.

14. Jessica says:

What a cool idea! I’ll have to snag a few corks from my in-laws. :)
    Jessica´s last blog post ..Legalized Molestation

15. Angela says:

This looks fabulous. Any suggestions on what to use if you don’t have corks?