Something More Than Christmas

By , January 1, 2008 3:34 pm

Something amazing has happened.

My mailbox was knocked down several weeks ago by a snowplough and we only just fixed it yesterday. Yesterday I also went to the post office to collect my wheelbarrow-load of catalogs, bills, and junk.

But among all that mundane waste of trees was something totally unexpected. Cards. Many cards and notes addressed to my children. From people all over the country, people I do not know, unfamiliar names and addresses on the envelopes. Each one contained dollar bills, thank yous and well-wishes to my daughter from complete strangers for her Heifer International Project.

We were stunned, awe-struck and literally moved to tears. As my husband and I sat there teary and speechless, my daughter opened envelope after wonderful envelope.

I don’t know which of you dear blog friends organized this, only a few of you have my name and address, but you and your friends have given us the absolute best Christmas gift ever.

But this is really not about Christmas. It is bigger than Christmas. We all agree that these simple, thoughtful notes and donations to my daughter’s favorite charity from complete strangers, deepens our faith in humanity and in the power of people to do good for each other in this world.

That is absolutely the best gift we could ever possibly receive. Thank you. Thank you all.

11 Responses to “Something More Than Christmas”

1. wishy the writer says:

Beautiful!

from Weepy Wishy

2. Andrée says:

Oh wow! That is utterly fantastic! Just think of how many families this will help. By the way: did the kids specify an animal?

The class had decided on bees and saplings because they didn’t think they could raise enough for more expensive animals like cows or other livestock.

They are planning a class bake sale when school returns in January. After that they will add up everyone’s individual earnings, plus the bake sale money, and then they will really be able to decide what they can afford. I think they’ll have more money than they expected!

4. courtcourt says:

Okay, now for those of us who don’t have her name and your address, who want to play too, could you (or someone who DOES know it) shoot me an email with the info? :)

5. Kate in NJ says:

That is awe inspiring!
    I hope the bake sale is fabulous too!

6. CelticMommy says:

How wonderful! I miss the best things!! Congratulations to you and your daughter and also a thank you to whomever that was. Raising spirits and believing in things again is a truly fantastic thing. Are you still fundraising?

7. Becky @ Boys Rule My Life says:

Wonderful! I am sure your kids were very encouraged!

8. Christine says:

Add me to the list of “I must have missed the post” about this fundraiser! I’d love an email, too, on how to help out! :)

It’s amazing how God works!! Using your little one to affect other families. What a blessing!

9. Nina says:

The power of blogging is amazing as is the work of Heifer.

10. dawn224 says:

Wow. That’s so wonderful. (I was out of the loop too!)

11. […] this project since someone out there who knew my address, was so kind as to spread the word and organize contributions from all over the country. Truly amazing!  Thank you again whoever you […]