Early to Bed…

By , June 9, 2010 8:30 am

“…and early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.”
~ Benjamin Franklin

And it also makes kids learn better!

Debs of Little House on the Lees reports today on an interesting study of the benefits of regular, early bedtimes for young children.  They need 11 hours of sleep per night.

I have always been a huge fan of early bedtime for children so I feel reassured.

Now I can say with certainty that my kids go to bed early not just so I can have my own evening peace and quiet (as a Consistently Substandard Slacker Mom, I’ll confess that has always been my main reason for being a bedtime drill sergeant).  According to the study, by sending them up to their rooms earlier than most of their friends, I am actually helping them learn more easily at school too.

Thanks Debs!

8 Responses to “Early to Bed…”

1. Debs. says:

You are welcome.
    My children have always had a strict bedtime too. My daughter likes to read for a while, which is good, but at the moment, with the very light evenings, she has probably been awake a bit too late. She has responded to this article, though by settling down to sleep as quickly as possible and she thinks this is helping her at school.

PS. I really love your blog. We have used many ideas featured on it. Thanks.
    .-= Debs.´s last blog ..Sleep – according to The Daily Mail =-.

2. Kari says:

My kids have always gone to bed early as well. although once we started homeschooling I have let it stretch a little bit later (8 o’clock) which has made dinner time a little less hectic and relaxed, and without having to run out in the morning it has worked well. My kids (ages 5 and 6) Still nap/have quiet time for 1-2 hours in the afternoon…also a lovely deal! I call myself the “nap nazi” to friends that struggle getting their little ones to keep napping!!
    .-= Kari´s last blog ..getting crafty! =-.

3. So what time is bedtime at your house?
    .-= onemotherslove´s last blog ..Tiny Talk: Baby Edition =-.

Well, my goal is 8PM at the latest for the older two and 7PM for the youngest. If I can get my older two in bed by 7:30 then I am really happy. When they were toddlers they usually went to bed at 6:00.

5. Daria says:

Mine wake up around 6am every single day as long as I can remember, not matter what time I put them to bed. I am a huge believer in more sleep the better, and still put them to bed around 7:15 every night if I can help it(they are six). This is earlier than anyone I know, but I don’t care. Go ahead and think I’m rigid. Laugh at the dark sheets over their blinds. My kids get plenty of rest and are happy and thrive in school. And I get my evenings free and clear to be ME. Win win win.

6. Debs. says:

I’m not laughing at your dark sheets. I’ve tried rolled up towels and all sorts to stop the chinks of light getting in. When Henry was a baby, I even stuck dark, coloured paper over the windows!
    My children; 14 months, 5 years and 9 years, start their bedtime routine at 6.30pm. They get ready while I prepare ‘the bedtime tray’ which is basically a milky drink with a cookie or cinnamon toast which they have while I read them a story. They love it. And if they mess about and are not ready when I come up, I take the tray away again. Now and then, if I have the energy, I introduce a special theme on a Friday evening. For example, we had Beatrix Potter stories on Fridays with and extra special hot chocolate drink with whipped cream, marshmallows and chocolate buttons. Worth getting ready for!
    .-= Debs.´s last blog ..Arrived from Amazon. =-.

7. Dawn says:

I have 5 kids – 9, 8, 6, 4, and 21 months and we don’t go to bed early, We are typically in bed somewhere between 10 and midnight and wake up somewhere between 9 and 11 or later. We homeschool so aren’t tied to a school schedule – thank goodness! My kids get just as much sleep, learn just as well (maybe even better because they don’t have a grumpy mama to deal with – this schedule works wonderfully and is much preferred by me!) as anyone else’ kids. If I want “me” time, I either get up a little earlier than they do or get up after they are asleep. I prefer the nights and always have, I don’t think it’s the time you sleep but the amount. Also different people need different amounts.

You are right that sleep patterns do need to reflect the habits and schedule of the family. Homeschoolers are fortunate in that respect! I think probably the important thing is the amount of sleep rather than the actual bedtime – as well as not having a grumpy mama of course! Thanks for the comment!