License Plate Scavenger Hunt
- Download and print a free, printable map of the US (or your country/region).
- Give one to each of your children and see how many license plates they can spot while on the road.
- They can color in the states as they spot them.
- For US mainlanders, a special prize for Alaska or Hawaii makes it even more fun.
The map format (vs. just a list) gives them a real sense of geography. On a recent road trip, I found my kids saying things like: “The farthest state we have seen from where we are now is New York” or “Look! We have all the states that border Arizona!”
TIPS – For extra learning, choose one with state capitals*. Younger children will just enjoy coloring the map.
* For a printable PDF file of a US map with state capitals (free for personal or classroom use), go to this site, scroll down, and click on the link “United States: Capitals.”