Books (Weekly Unplugged Project) – Bookmarks / Nature Book

By , April 6, 2008 10:28 pm

The theme for this week’s Unplugged Project was books.

I confess to having had a bit of a hard time with this one. The choices seemed endless. Of course the kids could make books, write books, read books, organize their books (I always like to get them organizing their stuff!), make bookmarks, make bookends… nothing seemed quite right though. So, since the weather today was so lovely (windy, but beautiful), we decided to go for a walk/bike/scooter adventure, during which we collected leaves and other natural things that we might be able to use for a project (when in doubt, nature is always a good place to start).

When we got home my 5 year-old son wanted to make a nature book for his treasures. My 7 year-old daughter wanted to make book marks. I had been vaguely thinking of the old iron-the-wax-paper trick and suggested we try that for the bookmarks. This is what we came up with:

The “nature expedition:”

Bookmarks:

Our materials:

First we cut out rectangles of wax paper:

Then we arranged our nature finds on one half of the wax paper:

Next we folded the wax paper over to make a “sandwich” and I ironed it.

There are no photos of this step since I (the photographer) was doing the ironing. I will say though, that it did not work as smoothly as I remember it as a child. The first try did not stick. Then it seemed there was a sticky side to the wax paper, then it seemed that both sides were sticky. Weird. Is it because our wax paper was “microwave-safe?” Hmm…. I never did figure it out. Next time I would probably use clear contact paper instead.

After the ironing process, we made construction paper frames to hide the edges, punched a hole and looped yarn through the hole for a tassel.

We got off to a rocky start with the wax paper dilemma, but we ended up having a lot of fun and produced four bookmarks!

Nature Book:

My son stapled three sheets of construction paper together and stuck his finds on to the pages with tape, glue, and staples. He was quite happy for at least an hour, just choosing his natural objects, and attaching them.

Here is the final product:

For another book-related idea, please read my post A Silk Purse Out of a Sow’s Ear.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Did you join in our project this week? If so, then thank you! Please leave the link to your project in Mr. Linky as well as a comment, since sometimes Mr. Linky doesn’t work well and I have to take him off.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Next week’s Unplugged Project theme is:

Food

(doesn’t have to be cooking…what else can you do with food?)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

22 Responses to “Books (Weekly Unplugged Project) – Bookmarks / Nature Book”

1. Nature Mama says:

Love the nature bookmark idea! Again I’ve learned something new for future crafting *grin* This week I posted on my homeschool blog since it wasn’t nature related :) I can’t wait to see what everyone else has been up to!
    Have an awesome week,
    Nature Mama

2. […] throw myself into the spirit of the project and choose something project-y to do on the subject of BOOKS. First, JediBoy and I made a board book, similar to one I saw on Instructables. We bought a sheet […]

3. ToddleBits says:

What a great idea! The bookmarks came out beautiful! I’m so excited to see what everyone else did for their project this week!

4. Piseco says:

We had a great time crafting and repurposing books this week! I love the nature book (looks like something JediBoy would make!) and the bookmarks. I’ve also had a hard time with the wax paper ironing projects, so I’m hoping someone will chime in with the reason why. Is wax paper today so different? Did I do something wrong? Or did it never really work that well when we were kids, either? :)

5. Christin says:

Great project idea! I hope I can jump in a little late! :) I’ll have to come back to post what we came up with and pics. Books are definately an endless array of wonderful ideas/projects!

6. Love your bookmarks! I think I might have the kids do that and send them to the grandparents as gifts! They’d love it!

7. Arwen says:

We basically just read books and visited the library and a couple of book stores. We did do a book-making project, but it was mostly me doing the project, not my son, so I don’t know that it really counts.

8. We love making books — and bookmarks too! I can see the nature bookmarks in our near future! :) The girls and I are working on an ABC book using an inexpensive photo album. Can’t wait to look around and get more great ideas from everyone.

9. Pam says:

Love your blog! Found it through Arwen’s homeschooling blog. Thanks for the ideas! The boys are out with Daddy right now, having a nature hunt. I’ll have to do the contact paper bookmarks with them. Lovely!

10. TopazTook says:

The bookmarks look like a lot of fun! We always do a lot of reading:

11. warillever says:

I love the bookmarks. We will have to try the wax paper trick after I look up techniques online.

I posted about something the kids do everyday, but that I never participate in — bedtime reading with their dad.

12. Claire says:

I’m pleased I’m not the only one who struggles with the greaseproof paper and iron trick. The book marks you have done look excellent. The mounts really set them off. Beautiful nature book too.

The finished bookmarks look wonderful- how odd about the wax paper. And I love your son’s nature book- I can see CJ doing something similar to that in a year or two as she ADORES tape and adhesives of all kinds.

14. MatchMomma says:

My oh my do we love books! Got this one done on time! *smile*. Wow are there some great ideas out there… love ’em all.
    ;0)

15. Love the bookmarks: I have quite the bookmark collection (one of my many quirks) but the handmade ones are best. I really like what you came up with. Another great bookmark-making idea is to collect international stamps and paste them on a strip and either laminate or cover with contact paper.

Since Kiddo is really into making books, I think I will try the nature book idea with him. Thanks for another great week!

What beautiful bookmarks. I am going to have to make those with the boys. They will make wonderful gifts

17. Amber says:

I am so happy to be back doing the unplugged projects! Sorry I was MIA so long. Life with a baby can get real busy. I love the bookmarks you made! I am going to try to talk my oldest into making some later this week.

18. kristen says:

Your bookmarks are beautiful. Our project this week is far from fancy, we had other book making plans but life got too busy! Thanks.

19. Christin says:

Wonderful projects! You are so creative and your children follow your suit! Thank you for doing this! :) You are a blessing!
    ~Christin

20. Melissa says:

We are looking forward to doing your weekly projects! I’ve been reading about them for a while and decided that this would be a good week to jump right in!

21. kim says:

I love this idea!! Very cool brining nature into the book idea! Super duper cool!!