Holiday Prep – Part 1 of 3 (Christmas/Holidays Unplugged)

By , November 17, 2007 10:18 pm

It seems to me with regards to Holiday prep, that there are two types of people:

1) Type 1 dislikes all the pressure to decorate, bake, and generally make everything “perfect.” Some of these people are OK with that and accept the fact that their only Christmas decorations might be a wreath and a dusty old artificial tree pulled down from the attic…or perhaps nothing at all. However I suspect that many of these reluctant types often begrudgingly try to keep up anyhow, succumbing to guilt…or family, social and commercial pressure to “create the perfect holiday.” While this might lead to the appearance of a “nice” Christmas for everyone else in the family, it leaves Mom feeling grouchy and tired (and yes, it is usually Mom not Dad who undertakes the Holiday prep).

2) Type 2 genuinely loves to “do it all.” These people decorate their home inside and out, bake cookies, pies, cakes, gingerbread houses etc. etc. They might shop for months for the perfect gift, or perhaps craft most of their holiday gifts by hand. Although they enjoy the whole “Holiday Process,” Type 2 also often has a big problem: how to accomplish all that they want to accomplish and still have time to enjoy the Holiday themselves.

So where am I going with this? My next Christmas/Holidays Unplugged post will offer helpful (I hope!) hints for dealing with the issues faced by my “type.” The following post will be by a guest blogger of the other school of thought, offering suggestions and hints geared towards those particular problems.

OK readers, how well do you know Mom Unplugged? Am I a “Type 1” or “Type 2?”

Photo courtesy of morguefile.com and photographer Jared Tolla.

11 Responses to “Holiday Prep – Part 1 of 3 (Christmas/Holidays Unplugged)”

Hmmm…I’m guessing you’re a Type 1. I’m somewhere in between the two- is there a Type 1.5? ;o)

Seriously though, I love these posts- they’re a great way to start off the holidays.

2. missbecky75 says:

I have been SO out of the loop lately! It’ll take me a while to catch up on your blog – looks like you’ve been posting lots of great stuff!

I’m going to guess that you are Type 2, that you truly enjoy doing it “all”. (I’m hoping that’s not your gingerbread house, though, because that’s just over-the-top… especially with 3 kids! LOL!)

Looking forward to catching up!
    Becky

3. Gattina says:

I only love to decorate for Christmas that’s it. But I love to decorate anyway and not only for Christmas. I don’t cook, I never baked in my whole life because my men don’t like cakes or cookies anyway. On Christmas eve we eat a fondue so I just have to buy the meat and prepare a salad and everybody cooks his own stuff on the table. As appetizer we always have smoked salmon and as dessert a fruit salad so there is not much to do.
    I am back from Egypt since Friday, have the blues and sit now in 31 F instead of 86 !!!

4. Don Mills Diva says:

I think you might be a type two…maybe because I aspire towards being a type 2 and you seem to have it more together than me most of the time. I’m type 2 in that I love to have everything done up and perfect BUT I’m not above taking shortcuts to get there (not a crafty type!) Looking forward to the tips – I can use all the help I can get.

5. Christine says:

I found your blog today and wanted to say thanks! You’ve inspired us to become unplugged for the Advent season. I’ll be visiting your blog often for ways to fill that extra time not in front of the TV. :)

6. Andrée says:

another link I found today:

I’m getting into this now because my own kids hate Christmas because of its commercialization and how that cuts them out from feeling the beauty of it. There must be fault to me for part of that, but not all. I absolutely need to convince my thirty-something kids that I know what Christmas is and that they need to learn, also.

7. Andrée says:

ok, here i am again (I think I’m avoiding doing stuff):

but by far, the most important one, recommended by our former minister (I found it!):

Peace.

8. Tamara says:

I think you are a type 1. I know I certainly am. In fact, this year I am going to try to do a good bit more for Christmas while staying out of the rat race and try to focus on what parts on important to me. I think my tendency was more to “check-out.”

9. CelticMommy says:

You crack me up!

10. […] Am I, Mom Unplugged, a Type 1 “Holiday Slacker” or Type 2 “Holiday Overachiever?” Three of you think I am a Type 2 and two of you voted Type 1. […]