Box (Weekly Unplugged Project)

By , November 18, 2007 9:15 pm

So, did you “think outside the box this week?” We nearly did not due to misbehavior on the part of my two oldest “darlings.” However, they redeemed themselves at the last minute and were allowed to do the project.

We had a few boxes so I let them each choose one and got out paint, markers, crayons, and paper and told them to do something with it all. I gave no suggestions and let them simply have at it.

I gave the baby a jewelery box and some markers hoping she wouldn’t notice the paint, but of course once she saw that big brother and sister were painting, she had to also. I whisked her off to the bath afterwards (she even had green hair).

Here are the results:

Baby – 22 months

Isn’t that lovely?? I didn’t help at all! I guess it was worth the massive mess!

Son – 5 years – A ROCKET SHIP AND DOCK

This is the way I first photographed it:

But apparently that was all wrong. This is the way it is “supposed” to go:

Daughter – 7 years – A PETROGLYPH MUSEUM

Can you tell we live in the Southwestern US?

If you participated, thank you and I hope you had fun. Please leave your name in Mr. Linky so we can find each other.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have had a lot of positive feedback on the “vague” ideas. Really that does make a project more adaptable for all ages from toddler through adult, so let’s try another very general idea for next Monday’s Unplugged Project:

“Thankful” (since it is the Thanksgiving holiday here in the US on Thursday).

It can be related to something you are thankful for, or simply a more traditional Thanksgiving-type craft. Remember, it doesn’t have to be a messy art project if you are not in the mood. Photography, poetry, story, or anything else you or your kids can dream up is great. The point is to have fun!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

11 Responses to “Box (Weekly Unplugged Project)”

Your Kids did a wonderful job. It was a great project. Looking foward to next weeks project.

2. Daphne says:

Good topic choice for next week! The whole reason I got obsessed with your box project was to house the next project’s theme! Awesome. I’ll be posting our pictures shortly. Love the boxes!

3. amanda says:

Wow! I am so impressed. Your kids really took off with this. The box your little one painted is so, so, precious. And thankfully it’s little enough to hold on to as a keepsake. good thinking there.
    I have to admit that I was mostly the one who made our box into something else, but my son has been playing with it for many days. So it was not as child-directed as yours. I wonder what my son would make out of a box all his own . . . I will have to find out! Thanks again for doing this :)

4. Andrée says:

Your project reminds me that one can never have enough decorated cigar boxes, especially in a classroom. I have to find a source of them and collect some. I really like the petroglyph museum and the rocket and dock: very sophisticated. I’m glad you reminded me of the other ways to do a project.

5. Kate in NJ says:

OK, we definitely had to go “outside the box” this week, but we’re in.

6. missbecky75 says:

Where’s the picture of the green hair!? :)

You have very imaginative kids! That’s wonderful. Probably comes from not watching so much TV! My 5 year old’s imagination is stuck on trains. .. any kind of trains. Check out my box project – I feed the train obsession sometimes! :)

Again, another great project!

What a wide variety of projects your kids created- I love it! I would have enjoyed seeing a picture of the baby with green hair too. :o)

I’m already thinking about what to do with next week’s theme- good idea!

8. Claire says:

Just recently found your blog and I’m really enjoying it.

Hope to take part in the weekly project this week too.

Thanks for making your blog so inclusive :-)

9. Tamara says:

Your boxes are great. What a good job your kids did! We did not manage to participate this week but hope to jump back in next week, although I have to say I slightly prefer the more detailed themes. Requires less imagination on my part!

10. Andamom says:

I agree with the other posters — Your kids did wonderful jobs on their boxes! Our painted box wasn’t a huge hit — but Gabriel does love to use large boxes to play in.

I have an interesting idea for ‘thankful’ — but we also worked on a regular Thanksgiving project tonight…

Do you have big plans for the holiday?

11. Don Mills Diva says:

Wow – those are awesome. You are so brave to let the 22-month-old into the paints. I have no excuse not to let my 24-month-old try it!