How could I nearly have missed this important holiday! I just discovered that today, May 16th, is International Sea Monkey Day! (I kid you not.) Children the world over will dress their Sea Monkeys up in their Sunday-best, sing Sea Monkey songs, eat Sea Monkey-shaped cakes. What would a Sea-Monkey shaped cake look like any way?
Like many children of my era, I fell victim to the advertisements in the comic pages of the Sunday paper and desperately wanted some Sea Monkeys (Artemia Salina, brine shrimp). My mother knew they were not what they appeared to be in the ads featuring cute little smiling humanoids and, certainly fearing having to deal with my disappointment, would not let me have any. [Note: Ad picture was found on Sea Monkey Geek at his post Were you Disappointed?]
I am glad to see that Sea Monkeys still exist, and actually seem to be quite a popular subject on the internet:
- Click here for a Sea Monkey musical video entitled “Ocean Of Fire.”
- To order (or for more info about these “dream pets”) visit the Official Sea-Monkey Website.
- Visit Sea Monkey Mania or Sea Monkey Geek.
- If you are REALLY into your Sea Monkeys, then visit the Sea Monkey Worship Page.
- Search “sea monkeys” on Amazon and you will find three whole pages of Sea Monkeys items! How about Sea Monkeys on Mars, or even a Sea Monkey action figure to celebrate this special day?
Happy International Sea Monkey Day!!
PS: Sea Monkeys seem to be quite a cultural phenomenon for a certain generation. If you are too old or too young, you may not have even heard of them. I was just on the cusp of the end of Sea Monkey popularity. If you have Sea Monkey memories to share, please leave a comment!