Sticky – Masking Tape Decoupage (Weekly Unplugged Project)

By , June 8, 2008 10:17 pm

When I chose sticky as the theme for this week’s Unplugged Project, I really had nothing in mind. I just thought a general, descriptive word would encourage a lot of very different, creative responses! We’ll see if I was right.

All week I thought and thought about what to do, and finally resorted to a little online inspiration. Here I found instructions for making a “Faux Leather Pencil Holder” using masking tape and shoe polish. That sounded very intriguing, but I didn’t think the kids would find brown “faux leather” terribly inspiring, and I wasn’t sure that working with stinky, messy shoe polish would have a happy outcome. So, since masking tape qualifies as sticky and it did sound fun and easy, we experimented and modified this idea a bit.

+++++++++++++

For this project you’ll need something to decoupage. My daughter chose a can and I found a dented metal picture frame that I had been going to toss out. You’ll also need masking tape, white glue, and food coloring:

There were a few sharp points around the rim of the can, so I squashed those down with some pliers and then covered the rim with tape to make it safer.

My daughter and I tore off little bits of masking tape and stuck them haphazardly over the surface of our objects. I think the final effect is prettiest if you try to have the tape edges as ragged as possible and use lots of small pieces rather than fewer larger ones.

Here is how they looked when completely covered with tape:

Next we put some glue in cups and added a little water to thin it slightly. Be careful not to add too much water, as I did the first time around! We then added some food coloring to create different colors:

We brushed the colored glue onto our tape-covered objects. The first coat was quite pale and uninspiring:

We let that dry a bit, and then brushed on another coat. I did a total of three coats, my daughter did two, so hers turned out a bit paler. I think next time I might even do a fourth coat. The extra coats of color really do add depth.

The effect is quite pretty. The colored glue sticks more to the edges of the tape making the tape edges darker than the rest, for almost a crackle effect. I finished off by spraying our projects with some acrylic for a bit more shine and durability.

FINAL THOUGHTS:

I would definitely try this again, as we all love decoupage. Working with the tape was easy and fun! I would like to experiment with paint mixed with glue, or even just thinly wiped-on paint (but I wanted the glue in there to create a bit of shine).

Different color effects would be interesting to try too. Using paint with glue, or paint alone would make for more subtle color possibilities. I think wiping some adjacent colors gently with a cloth, could make a nice blended transition between colors. A rainbow effect would be pretty.

Other fun things to try this with: Easter eggs, boxes, framed mirrors, notebooks, furniture … almost anything really!

This was an easy and satisfying project. Total time: maybe 1 hour.

+++++++++++++

If you joined us for this week’s sticky Unplugged Project, then please put your link in Mr. Linky. Please leave a comment too, so that your project will still be findable if Mr. Linky fails.

If you didn’t join us this week, then consider joining in next week! Read how here.

+++++++++++++

The theme for next Monday’s Unplugged Project will be:

Plastic

I hope to see you then!

24 Responses to “Sticky – Masking Tape Decoupage (Weekly Unplugged Project)”

1. we made sticky buns – or cinnamon rolls.

Julie – Havin’ Fun Yet?s last blog post..Sewing Purses

2. Bobbie says:

STicky was fun… I just have a comment…. not sure if others have this problem, or if it is just me… but this site goes VERY slow and often crashes and freezes up, so it takes me forever to link to the challenge or even just to read… not sure if it is just me, or if you have a problem unplugged mom slowing down your site, but I still come cause I love your stuff!

Bobbies last blog post..Weekend Project

3. At preschool my son made a vase out of a small soda bottle with a similar method to yours, they covered it with pieces of masking tape and then used some type of paint on it (it looks cute). We ended up using glue (sticky) to make goop that wasn’t really sticky but fun to play with.

Heather & Johns last blog post..Unplugged Project: Sticky Glue Goop!

4. Tina says:

I love doing these! One year we did an entire picture using this method. They are beautiful! Please check back with my post later in the week…I know your kids will love our completed glue project. With the humidity here it is taking a while to dry.

Tinas last blog post..Unplugged Sticky

5. Kate in NJ says:

I tried to get P to do some decoupage this weekend, but she was not interested. We run into “sticky” around here quite a bit though,
    so we will have a post up later..I’ll link back later.
    Now we’re waiting for my niece to head down the shore for the day.

Kate in NJs last blog post..Gardening,cooking,and rockin’ out

6. Christin says:

How creative! You always have fun projects! I ususally don’t add mine till mid-week. I hope that’s OK! :) I still haven’t really found a solid project for us to do yet. It’s supposed to rain a couple days this week (Mon and Tues) so it’ll be the perfect time to do a project. GREAT WORK!

Christins last blog post..More Painting Fun!

7. [...] the Unplug Your Kids theme of the week is sticky, I used that as inspiration and pulled out a recipe for glue dough. We made it a little light on [...]

8. Thanks for the fun site! And thanks for the tape idea…E will really like that. Sticky is popular in our house. :)

Meg

Meg (So SMRT)s last blog post..Super Baby

9. [...] 9, 2008 in Kids Crafts The theme for this week’s unplug your kids challenge was “Sticky” Before we decided on a project, Jaylene drew a bunch of sticky items. Some I expected like, glue [...]

10. Ooohhh, plastic might be difficult! Great decopaging.

Julie K in Taiwans last blog post..Traveling Felt Board

I love your projects. They came out so great. It is definetly something that we will have to try around here. The boys love to make homemade gifts for people, great idea for that. thanks!

Heathers last blog post..

12. Christy says:

I just found your blog and am so glad I did! I love the Unplugged Project. Having a theme each week will be great incentive for DS and I to be more creative.

His interpretation of sticky: Flubber. We all had a blast making it and playing with it.

Christys last blog post..Sticky – Weekly Unplugged Project

13. Melissa says:

Thanks for this week’s theme! I was glad to finally get around to making a tissue paper/contact paper collage with O.

Melissas last blog post..Unplug Your Kids: Sticky

14. Kayris says:

I think my kids INVENTED sticky. But it was harder than I thought to come up with a project for this week.

Kayriss last blog post..Unplugged Project: A Summertime Classic

15. kristen says:

We did a simple contact paper and glitter. Love your decopage!

16. Kate in NJ says:

Sorry we are late, but we’re in!

Kate in NJs last blog post..Gardening,cooking,and rockin’ out

17. We’re a day late, but here! We made peanut butter milkshakes – yum! Love the masking tape decoupage – cool effect! :)

Let’s Explores last blog post..Peanut Butter Milkshakes

18. Candy Cook says:

Love it! We’re going to make some tomorrow. We save a lot of packaging, so this will be a cool way to make an old box new again.

Candy Cooks last blog post..Fire Management, Grizzly Bears & Giant Sequoias

19. warillever says:

You had such a good idea that we used part of it for next week’s project!

My link is very late — I wrote it on Sunday night but my internet service went down.

warillevers last blog post..Moving on Up

20. Jamie says:

I love how it turned out! It is neat that you could use something you were going to toss too! Thanks for the idea.

Jamies last blog post..Be Inspired

21. [...] Sticky – Masking Tape Decoupage (Weekly Unplugged Project) [...]

22. Jodi Thyen says:

I love the tape idea. I remember using pieces of masking tape and shoe polish to cover little glass milk bottles way back in elementary school. We gave them to aunts and uncles as gifts at Christmas. Boy, did we think they were the best! I think the intent was that they looked like rustic, leather-like vases?! Love it!

23. [...] the first thing the girls thought of was peanut butter! Head over there to see all the other sticky fun projects from the [...]

24. JoAnn says:

Cool how the color stick more to the edges of the tape. Thanks for sharing!
    JoAnn