Blog Challenge – TV Turn-Off Week

By , April 16, 2007 8:00 am

Can you and your family turn off the TV for one whole week?

In honor of TV Turn-Off Week, I would like to propose a TV Turn-Off Week Blog Challenge as an aid in turning off the TVs, and encouraging others to do so also. Plus, there is even A BRIBE…err…I mean PRIZE!! I will award a $10 Amazon Gift Certificate to a random participant. The way I thought it could work is this:1) If you want to commit to “The Challenge,” add a comment to this post.

2) Add your name to “Mr. Linky.”

3) Copy the little image below and place it somewhere on the main page of your blog (right click on it, select “save as” to save to your hard drive, then upload to your blog as usual). Link the image back to this post (please make sure it is the POST not my main blog page). Please email me if you need help with any of this. If you really don’t want the image, that is OK, but it would help spread the word.

4) Write a post about “The TV Turn-Off Week Blog Challenge” preferably before April 23rd so as to spread the word. We want to get as many participants as possible in order to make it fun and effective! Tell them why you are doing it and how they can join too.

5) Also, it would be really great if you could please link back here (to this post) from your post so that your readers can easily find all the other participants.

6) During National TV Turn-Off Week (April 23-29, 2007), KEEP THE TV OFF AND HAVE FUN!!! Play board games, read all those great books on your Callapidder Days – Spring Reading Thing list, take walks, play sports, garden (it is finally spring!) do art projects, clean out your closets, visit the library, cook meals together, have a garage sale, blog more or blog less, throw a party or a picnic…the possibilities are endless.

7) At the end of the week write another post describing how it went, whether you were successful, what you did, how it felt, would you do it again, etc…say whatever you are moved to say! If you want to write a series of posts all week about it, go right ahead. Hey…you could get a week’s worth of posts out of this! What is your family doing day by day? Inspire others. Help them find ideas for TV-free activities!

I hope that we will have some interested people. With a little involvement, this could be fun and rewarding. If you think this a worthwhile cause, whether or not you intend to participate, please help spread the word. I do not have a big readership yet and without a little help, this “Challenge” will involve only me and my ever-faithful best friend. It would be much more fun with a larger turnout!

Thanks and please feel free to email me with any questions (unplugyourkids “a t” gmail “d o t” com).

24 Responses to “Blog Challenge – TV Turn-Off Week”

1. Jen says:

Ok, I have to be honest, my first thought was “ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?” And then I thought longer. My kids don’t watch that much tv, but we use the XM that comes through our DirecTv every single day. So lemme think about this and see if we can do it. ; )

2. Melissa says:

Count me in. I’ll get a post up about the blogger challenge as soon as I can.
    Melissa :-)

3. Mom Unplugged (formerly "Mom of 3") says:

OK, there is no “Official Rule Guide” for this, I guess we just make it up as we go.

I think that radio is fine, even if it comes from your TV. Satellite Music or XM, all that is radio in my opinion, and doesn’t count no matter what its source.

Plus, this is supposed to be fun! So if you set out to try it and have a little “relapse” at some point, that is OK. Don’t worry! It will give your something interesting to write about! The point is to try, and to have fun.

4. Gattina says:

So you “unplugged” from your kids, lol ! You know, even kind birds or other animals throw them out of the nest ! Only humans are sticking together for a whole life !Have nice holidays !

5. Bon says:

it’s probably a little cheap of me to participate, since we’re actually away for most of the week of the challenge. still…i think it’s worthwhile.

i wonder, now & then, what kind of role tv will end up playing in O’s life. we have a crappy old tv with no cable…two channels come in, but they’re kinda fuzzy. it does us fine.

but it’ll die, soon enough. will we replace it? when they stop tv broadcasts (supposedly 2009, i hear) will we get cable? i have no idea…

next week, though, we’re all yours.

6. MC Milker says:

But of course, I’ll participate. Great idea to have this challenge. I’ll link once I have the post up – meanwhile – I’ll add the icon!

7. wishy the writer says:

I’m so happy to turn away from the scary news lately. Flowers, gardening, hiking, my daughter’s giggles…all sound more interesting for my time next week than watching tv or videos over the internet! Thanks for the inspiration!

8. The Lazy Organizer says:

I’m cheating because we are already turned off but my post is up!

9. Montserrat says:

This is something I’ve been thinking about doing for a while but didn’t want to be the “mean mom” and just turn off the TV. Now I’ve got a good little excuse that my girls will fall for. Maybe I should tell them it’s for a whole month instead!

10. Elizabeth says:

Turn off the TV! Sure, we’ll do it. To be fair though we don’t usually have it on. And to be even more honest, we only get three channels when we do. But my kids like to play computer games so we are expanding our Turn Off the TV week to include ALL screen-time. I’ll let you know how it goes!

Elizabeth

11. Our Peculiar Life says:

Wow! I am excited about this. It came at the perfect time. I really needed this. Hubby doesn’t want to participate, but the kids and I are doing it!

12. miss muffet says:

My son’s school already had their tv tune out week and it was great. My 3 year old daughter had the hardest time because she is home the most, but she discovered lots of new toys and music.

I am definitely in on the online challenge.

13. cloudscome says:

I am in for our house. I have been doing this TV Turn Off week for years and it gets better and better the more you practice! One thing for me this year: my four year old is getting his tonsils out tomorrow (the first day). I am going to let him watch TV and movies at his grandmother’s house while she cares for him when I am at work all week. And if he watches some in the hospital tomorrow I am OK with it. But our house – it’s off!

14. Anonymous says:

This is a great idea! ~Kim

15. Brandi & the Zandi's says:

Sounds like a good idea! Thanks for inspiring me to try this out. We are half way through day one and I can already tell a difference. The house is so much quieter!!:-)

16. Elizabeth says:

As we wind down from Turn Off the TV Week, I want to share my own “Turn Off” story. I am proud to say that I did not go to the airport this week and therefore I was not bombarded by the televisions throughout the concourse or on the planes. I also did not treat myself to a nice lunch in a fancy department store like Saks or Neiman’s where there are multiple screens to entertain diners. Nor did I go to the gym, which is unfortunate in a lot of ways, but I was spared visions of the Food Network while working off that dessert from the night before.

My children did not watch television because of their homework and after school activities. Saturday morning cartoons remain to be seen (pun intended).

We’ve listened on the radio as the Mariners won three games in a row! The sound of the announcer’s voice brought back memories of my childhood, listening to the Houston Astros on the family’s transistor radio.

As for my own Internet use, I kept my promise and used the Internet sparingly, though I was tempted on many levels to just “check” a few of my favorite sites.

To my fellow mothers of challenging children: Whether you honored Turn Off the TV week or not, you deserve a pat on back for simply making it through another week.

17. Mom Unplugged (formerly "Mom of 3") says:

Thanks so much for that great comment Elizabeth. I appreciate the update! My hardest change has been limiting my computer time, but I have been trying! As you say, it is incredibly tempting to “just check” your email, or your favorite blogs. I love your last paragraph. I think we all deserve a big pat on the back!

18. Cheryl says:

Although I missed the challenge, I like what I see here. Looking forward to reading more. I’ve linked your site to mine.

19. […] forget to join our TV Turn-Off Week Blog Challenge, it is not too late! Click here for more […]

20. […] Consider joining our TV Turn-Off Week Blog Challenge! Click here for the […]

21. […] Thirteen Reasons Why You Should Join “THE TV TURN-OFF WEEK BLOG CHALLENGE” […]

22. […] According to Jason, you can also read about gDiapers in John Kerry & Teresa Heinz Kerry’s book This Moment on Earth: Today’s New Environmentalists and Their Vision for the Future. I have not read it yet, but it is on my list. (Maybe next week when I do less blogging for The TV Turn-Off Week Blog Challenge?) […]

23. […] you wish to join our Challenge, please click here for more info and all the nitty-gritty details. Basically, all it really requires is an intro post […]

24. […] of you probably weren’t around last spring to take part in, or even read about, my TV Turn-Off Week Blog Challenge. Well, April has been very sneaky this year and has arrived on quiet little mouse feet. I only just […]