The Unplugged Project

By , January 25, 2010 8:01 am

I have been a bit burned out on the Weekly Unplugged Project lately.  We just don’t seem to get to it every week and it has become more of a Blog Burden for me, then a Blog Benefit.  Plus, public participation seems to be waning along with mine.  Sigh…  Time for a change.

I have heard from a few people who are still interested.  I am still interested too, but now that my children are older I can no longer get to it every week and it MUST NOT become a chore. The point is for it to be fun.   So, I have a new plan.

How about a Monthly Unplugged Project?  I will announce a theme on the first day of the month, and close the Linky on the last day of the month.  That will give everyone (including me) a month instead of a week to come up with a project, do it, write about it,  and link to our posts (and/or leave our project in a comment).  Those with more time and enthusiasm could do as many projects as they want for each theme.

Over the years I have also been contemplating creating “Unplugged Project Buttons” that people could download and which would link to the project.  Button display would be entirely optional of course, but I have had some requests from people over the life of the project, so I guess interest is out there.

After about two years, I am finally getting to the buttons, and have even created a few!  Once I figure out some of the technical issues, I’ll put them out for any interested readers to take.

How does it all sound?

25 Responses to “The Unplugged Project”

1. Anna says:

Great idea! I’ve been watching for a while but could never manage to do a project within a week. A month seems doable (though no promises).
    .-= Anna´s last blog ..Pomanders =-.

2. Melissa says:

I just discovered the project recently so I would hate to see it disappear before I get to participate. A monthly link even sounds perfect. I wonder if it would be too much to ask for reminders though?
    .-= Melissa´s last blog ..I Hear Ruffles Are In Right Now… =-.

3. TopazTook says:

A month would be sooo much easier to participate in. It seems like a week’s schedule is already filled before I even hear about a theme.

4. Lynn says:

That’s a great idea. I struggle with the whole blog burden problem too. I have been wondering whether to stop blogging for awhile. I think a monthly theme would be less pressure for you and your readers, and still preserve the project, which is such a great one.

5. Jen says:

Mthly sounds great. I just discovered you, but I know I would have problems with weekly ideas. The important thing is for you to have fun.

6. chicken shed says:

Yes monthly unplugged project sounds good. At the moment I always seem to find out what the unplugged project is the week after everyone has done it! Buttons sound good too.

7. Twinmint says:

Love the idea! I’ve been hoping for a reinstatement of the projects, since I found your blog a while after your last one. A month would be a great timeframe to work in. When do we start?! :)

8. Karen B says:

I’m sorry you’re feeling burned out. We have sooooo enjoyed the projects we’ve participated in. Like Melissa, I think a monthly reminder would be helpful, so I subscribed to your blog. If I forget to check for the new project, I’ll see it in my e-mail. We may do some of the older themes we missed or again, also.

9. Momma Mindy says:

Great idea! I am mostly happy for you, when something becomes a burden instead of a joy, it’s time to change. I love the idea of having a monthly theme, posting it ahead of time with occasional reminders (or a sidebar announcement) for encouragement. I think it would be more of a blessing, because you would also motivate some of us who have always INTENDED to participate to get busy. Have a great Monday!
    .-= Momma Mindy´s last blog ..Everything Has A Place…. =-.

Love the idea- even I should be able to get something together in a month!
    .-= Jenny´s last blog ..One Year =-.

11. Once a month would totally be better for us! We haven’t been able to participate as often as I want to b/c we just run out of time! We LOVE the ideas though, so I really hope they don’t stop!! <3
    .-= Gabriele (The Work of Childhood)´s last blog ..To Write or Not to Write =-.

12. I like it! I could probably use a reminder post the week before Mr. Linky ends, or a reminder to check out the other posts after it ends…
    .-= Mozi Esmes Mommy´s last blog ..Balanced =-.

13. christie says:

I like this idea. Like others, I’ve sometimes had trouble getting to the project within a week (and during the school year I work full-time, which makes it even harder). It should, for certain, be FUN rather than a chore – do what works for you, even if that means stepping away for a while or for good.

14. christin says:

Maybe the public can send in weekly idea’s to keep this going! It the greatest thing ever!!

15. Karin says:

I think that is fantastic. I’ve never managed to do a weekly unplugged project. Heck, I’m still working on the tin one from yonks ago. LOL I usually watch and read but haven’t participated. I might be able to in a month. Change is good for us!

16. jazzy jaks says:

Great, have just come back to this to do the uplugged project, my daughter has been asking about doing more, monthly will work out well.
    Can’t wait for the next theme!

Cheers!

17. kellyi says:

I have had you bookmarked and have checked in on a regular basis.

As we have cut our TV watching down to weekends only – we need this Unplugged Project The thought of you jacking it in has forced me to de-lurk :)

Monthly would be great.
    .-= kellyi´s last blog ..more love for scrapstore =-.

18. Adrienne Hestenes says:

Keep the projects monthly! We were only able to participate in 1 of the weekly projects, but I think we would be more active about posting monthly projects. Thankyou!

19. Oya says:

That’s a great idea! Thus we have time to participate and I would love to make my children and students participate too. Thank you so much for your ideas.

20. Child says:

I was really sad to hear that you feel so burned out! I really love your site. I had meant to participate but I had been very busy. Now that I am in home studies I have much more time to do the projects…well…and now it has turned monthly but…that is okay, I think I will just do more than one project of the same theme in that month, or as many fun projects as I can think of that would be fun to do. (:
    One thing I was wondering was this: how do I post a Linky? I never realised how to do this which is…well, one of the reasons that I did not participate.

21. […] appears to be unanimous!  Thanks so much for all the great comments and feedback.  We’ll keep the Unplugged […]

22. SkylarKD says:

Sounds great! I keep meaning to do a project, but sometimes I don’t check my blogroll more than once a week, so it’s too late or I’m too busy to get to it (excuses?! lol). Anyways, a month seems like a good timeframe, and you’ll get a lot of entries for each topic, I’m sure.

23. Rana says:

I like the month idea better. We have been wanting to do the projects, but things always come up and the week is over before we know it. This will give me a little more time to put things together. Thanks!
    .-= Rana´s last blog ..Is Free Range Parenting Right For You? =-.

Thanks so much for the comment! I am glad you like my site. Sorry the linkies are confusing. Perhaps you are trying to link to a closed one? Check out the open “Spiral” linky and see if that seems easier to understand, if not then let me know. I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Thank you, glad you de-lurked!