The Self-Packed Lunch

By , August 24, 2009 10:55 pm

Today was the first day back to school for my oldest two (9 and 7), and they were VERY excited.  OK, OK, so was I (choirs of angels and all that).

The two of them were up early and dressed before I even managed to open an eye.  By the time I had dragged myself reluctantly out of the shower (I am NOT a morning person) they had already made their own breakfasts and packed their own lunches.

What?? My heart sank when I heard they had packed their lunches.  This was new, and entirely their idea.

Of course I immediately inspected their lunch boxes expecting to see cookies, chips and goldfish crackers, plus perhaps even some candy that had been squirreled away somewhere. What would you have packed in your lunch at that age?

However I was shocked to find that they had actually done a good job!  There was leftover pasta (kept warm in thermoses), sugar snap peas, apples, yogurt, and…one Oreo each. I could live with that.

I plan to continue this self-packing of the lunch, and hope it does not fall by the wayside as school becomes less easy to wake up early for.

One less job for me is good.  I am a lazy mom.

7 Responses to “The Self-Packed Lunch”

1. Deanna says:

Then lunches sound great! Have the kids make them the night before and then they don’t have to worry about the morning rush! (and you can be involved too!)

Yes, I think the night before is probably key. Already this morning they were up a bit later so it was more of a rush, and this is only Day 2!

3. Teddi says:

I have heard it said, “lazy parents make independent children.”
    Though you hardly seem like a lazy mom.
    .-= Teddi´s last blog ..Doing better already: free fonts =-.

Well I do ASPIRE to be a lazy Mom. Now that I know there is just one more advantage to laziness (independent children), I’ll work even harder on cultivating my laziness! (Is that an oxymoron?) Anyhow, thanks for bringing up a bright side of lazy parenting! ;)

5. This is great! Too many parents think that they have to constantly entertain their children by giving them things to be “occupied” with. The more you leave children to their own devices, the more they will think on their own as well as develop their imaginations by figuring out what to do.

Great comment, thank you! Yes, I have always been of the “less is more” school of parenting. Organized projects are fun sometimes (we usually do one a week – our “Unplugged Project” that I like to blog about), but the rest of the time I let them run around and entertain themselves.

Another issue: some kids nowadays have schedules that are so busy, they don’t have time to come up with their own activities and just be kids. I really try to avoid that overscheduling if I can. I think I feel a post coming on about that.

Thanks for stopping by!

7. Marta says:

We came up with a “shopping list” for the boys (6+10) to pack their lunches. I made a list with (yay for clipart) pictures and the words beside. I also put a box at the side of the link. I intended to get them laminated so they could write on them with a whiteboard marker, but that didn’t happen. It turns out the younger child had it memorized in two days: sandwich, fruit, veggie, snack, drink, treat. They really have free rein in the kitchen because I try not to buy too much packaged pretend-food, so it usually works out.