The First Day of School (That Almost Wasn’t)

By , January 7, 2009 7:18 pm

My littlest baby is now three.  A “big girl.”

On Monday, just three days after her third birthday, she was scheduled to have her first day of Montessori preschool.  After 8 and a half years of  continuous togetherness with one child or another, I was REALLY looking forward to that first miraculous day of school for the last one, and the promise of several hours of solitude.

My imagination soared:  loud music in the house (and NOT “The Itsy Bitsy Spider”), a good book, maybe even a trip to the bathroom without an audience!

But when I awoke on that much anticipated morning, what should I see out my bedroom window:

Snow.  Lots of snow.

Mom of the Year Moment:  Was my first thought of the day – “Oh, look at the lovely snowy scene!”

No.  My first thought was:  “OH NO – A SNOW DAY!!”

I had waited three years for this first day of school and it was going to be a Snow Day!  Serves me right doesn’t it?  The cruel irony of it all.  I just wanted to put my pillow over my head and go back to sleep.

In fact it turned out to merely be a two hour delay, what a relief!

Despite my excruciating Mom Guilt over the depth of my joy on my baby’s first day of school, I was able to pull myself together enough to rock-out in the kitchen to some extremely loud music, unsuitable for children.

I can now set all guilt aside since it turns out that she loves school, and I love my mornings alone.  So far, we both seem to be benefiting from the arrangement!

16 Responses to “The First Day of School (That Almost Wasn’t)”

1. KateinNJ says:

LOL, I rock out when P
    is out without me too.
    ;-) Glad it’s working out for
    you both.

KateinNJs last blog post..Wordless Wednesday

2. jen says:

I’d have the same reaction! LOL J starts kinder in the fall and PLEASE GOD let him get into full day. So kick the mommy guilt to the curb and dance away! :)

jens last blog post..So what do I need?

3. Bobbie says:

Yay for school… I so agree about the “bathroom audience ” I have that constantly too.. I am a rockstar!!

Bobbies last blog post..THE MR

What a momentous occasion! I’m so glad that preschool is working out well for both of you. I do most of my listening to loud music on the few occasions I’m out and about w/o CJ- there’s something about driving to loud music that makes me feel younger.

Jennys last blog post..HOW Long Has It Been?!

5. Oh good! I’m not the only mom that looks forward to the first day of school! :) I totally get the whole “mom guilt” thing, but have been trying to let that go… :)

Beautiful pics!

Becky@BoysRuleMyLifes last blog post..Pretties!

6. Tab says:

Don’t feel guilty. Our first day back to school after holiday break was a snow day. It started as a 2 hour delay and I actually teared up. We have had terrible weather, it’s been way too cold for them to play outside, and during the break the plaster (and shelving) on our laundry room wall broke down (middle of the house.) So we were all stuck together for 2 weeks, inside the house, trying to keep everyone entertained and doing construction. We were quite sick of each other.
    Now they are all back at school, and it’s too quiet =(

Tabs last blog post..Catch Up

7. Tina says:

Good luck with your little one’s foray into Montessori! We have a few new children who started this week, and they did not look too happy when I was dropping off my son the first few mornings. But, it’s amazing how quickly they adjust and thrive. Mommy guilt is overrated! Don’t succumb! We can all only be the best moms that we can be when we take the time to pursue our own interests and pleasures. And little one’s need that safe place to practice and develop their independence. So, win-win!

Oh, and love that beautiful view out of your bedroom window. So lovely.

Tinas last blog post..A New Years Day Munchie Meal

8. shawna says:

Oh how I want your window. And your snow. Good thing it was just a delay, I can’t stand when plans go awry. It definitely messes up my mojo. Kudos for still rocking out the rest of the morning. :O) (I think I would have gone out and made a snowangel!)

shawnas last blog post..after midnight

9. Despite your disappointed feeling that morning, you did take a lovely picture of the snow. That window is beautiful!

Crescent Moons last blog post..My Own Little Colonial Film Festival

10. Laura says:

I am not there yet with the twins, but I can totally understand where you are coming from!! Enjoy the loud music in the morning (LOL!) You deserve it!!

Lauras last blog post..Going insane this week!

Thank you for all the kind comments. I guess I am not the only one who suffers an occasional bout of Mom Guilt!

The window was added as part of a recent bedroom expansion. It was a bit more than our budget, but it was worth it. It is a lovely way to wake up in the morning – with a view framed so beautifully.

12. Nina says:

I’m counting down the days before both my children are in one school setting or another. My sister says jokingly that if a mother cries on her child’s first day of kindergarten then she didn’t spend enough time with the child. I know I won’t be crying (well maybe a little).

I would love to read your thoughts on “afterschooling” and how to stay actively involved in your child’s education.

Ninas last blog post..Rotate & Reduce Toys

Hi Nina,

I love what your sister says, very funny!

Afterschooling would be a great subject for a post. I love the idea of it, in fact my children want me to teach them French and I thought we’d do an afterschool/homeschool thing, but I can’t find time! They don’t have many activities, but between homework and time to just run around and be kids having fun, I haven’t been able to make it work yet. I’d love to hear about the afterschooling ideas of others.

14. Mae says:

I love love love your blog. How I wish my child did not play video games or watch as much television. I feel as if I’m sleeping with the enemy,b/c my husband makes video games for a living! Children’s video games at that…
    I am creating a playroom for my son and I hope to incorporate more play and less handheld,console,games…sigh….

15. DHT says:

Second snow day, early in the morning, have already fixed a downed cable, listening to tree branches break, hear kids downstairs – need to schedule a nap for myself today.

DHTs last blog post..a. JstATht – Fun & Work

16. […] we have joined in the Unplugged Project (does that count?).  For some reason I thought when my littlest began preschool I would have so much free time.  Why does it now feel like I have even less time?  I don’t […]