Potty Fiesta!

By , July 1, 2008 1:28 pm

The big excitement around here at the moment is the “poTEEE” as my 2 year-old calls it. She has been interested in potties of all sorts from about 18 months on. I have been the one who has been stalling the whole potty training process (or potty “learning,” as they say now).

I am so over the eagerness to be out of diapers that I felt with my first child. Experience has taught me a lot.

Quite frankly, I have learned that diapers are easier. We never have to worry about where the nearest toilet is. We never have to worry about how clean the nearest toilet is. We never have to worry about messy accidents in awkward public places.

But now that she is 2 and a half, I have decided that I really must put my completely selfish attitude aside and take the big potty plunge.  After all, I don’t want her to be stashing away some Depends along with her Chemistry textbook in her high school backpack.

The older two learned between 2 and a half and 3. They both wanted to go to “school” (Montessori preschool) and had to be 3 and free of diapers. The incentive of “school” was enough to motivate them and get them with the program in a matter of a day or two.

This time “school” is a bit farther off, so although I am talking up that aspect of things, I have had to be a bit more creative.

The other day we had a “Potty Fiesta” where I moved her little potty to the living room and let her run around bare-bottomed all morning, and with big girl undies on in the afternoon. This is a modified “run around the backyard naked” approach. Since we live on a golf course, I didn’t think it would be seemly to have her running around the backyard naked, even if she is only 2.

I also resorted to bribery: one Skittle for “wee-wee” and two Skittles for “poop.” The older two also get a Skittle treat when she goes, and that has caused them to become a most enthusiastic cheering section!

So far, so good. Accidents have been few and far between. She is very proud, and even came over to tell me out of the blue: “Mama, I’m a poTEEE trained.”

The only challenge I face now is that she has fallen so in love with her little “poTEEE,” that she refuses to go near a big toilet (even with a little seat on it). Any ideas on how to overcome PoTEEE Attachment and broaden the toilet horizons? I really don’t want to be toting the beloved “poTEEE” around with us every time we run an errand!

What tricks have you used to speed the potty process?

12 Responses to “Potty Fiesta!”

1. Candy Cook says:

My youngest son would stand and go #1 in the big potty, but refused to sit down on it and go #2 on anything excpept the “little potty”. So, I was stuck cleaning out that God foresaken contraption. One day (probably about a month into it), I just got so sick of it, I took it away and he no longer had a choice. That worked great. He doesn’t miss it a bit.

Candy Cooks last blog post..Unplugged Garden

2. Tina says:

That is one cool poteee!!! Its has been 9 years since I last potty trained a child. Here is what worked best for us. Do it in the summer. Let them wear just their big kids undies or none at all. ( that way you do less laundry and they can handle getting the clothes off quickly to go) Keep a potty in the back yard if your bathroom is a ways from the door. We celebrated milestone by milestone. A day without a wet pair of undies, ( or a half day if necessary), two days and so on. Then it was on to overnight. For my kids a trip to the dollar tree, a homemade ice cream sunday, m and ms ect worked. We also planned ahead for trips away from home. Bring your own potty was not unheard of! As always extra clothes for accidents and lots of hugs and kisses. OH for my gals they had a doll that peed…was such fun at potty training time. She got big girl undies too! Good luck!

Tinas last blog post..Getting Along with Each Other

3. Tamara says:

Well as you know, all kids are different…

With my oldest, he used a potty insert seat at home and basically refused to ever go while we were out. He was excellent at holding it I guess. (This went on for a year or more)

With my youngest, he also used a potty insert at home, so when we started venturing out I tried to introduce sitting on our at-home toilet without the insert and he FREAKED. So I carried the crazy insert with us for a few weeks. Which was crazy and awkward. So at some point I just stopped and offered a very practical and matter-of-fact “we dont have the potty seat with us” and he did fine.

All that to say, maybe she will use her little potty at home, and sit on a big toilet while you are out, even if she won’t sit on the one at home.

Tamaras last blog post..Story Stretcher Activity – Friendship with George and Martha

4. So, we have just passes this stage with my daughter. What I did to get her past the “fear” for the big potty is for the fist 2 weeks I would take the little seat with us where we went. It was great…but, after that I would “accidentally” forget the seat when we were some where I knew she wouldn’t want to leave. I would tell her that either she used the big potty or I would have to take her home. The first 2 times this happenend it took some tears (hers not mine…) to get her on there. After that she was just fine with it.

Natalie Edwardss last blog post..Our week!!!

5. I recommend bringing a potty in the car (we have a toyota minivan and it fits under the tray between driver and passenger seats but the trunk works too). We would pull it out with the boys when we were out and it avoided trouble when one kid got to the car and had to go but I am also a public bathroom phobic so I would just have them wait until we got to the car or if we were at the park we’d just walk to the car instead of walking to the yucky bathroom. My girl will be 2 on the 5th and isn’t ready yet but I’m starting to think more about it. I hope a girl will be easier than boys. Good luck, sounds like she is really ready and it will go smoothly.

Heather & Johns last blog post..Under Construction!

6. Christina says:

My son started showing a random (and I thought, waaay premature) interest in the potty around 1. He’s since lost genuine and productive interest, but still signs “potty” when he goes in his diaper, freaks out when he has an occasional accident during nakey-time, and is otherwise happy to just “watch and learn” with Daddy! I agree though…what DO you do in public? I’m just gonna enjoy the diapers while they hang around a bit longer…

7. JamieBEE says:

We are in the middle of potty “learning” too.
    I have tried a zillion different creative ideas and you can find them on my blog… just go back a few weeks.
    The best transition we did from little toilet to big toilet was being around older cousins and only use the big toilet at Grandma’s house. When we got home the little toilet was JUST GONE?! (we hid it away) and she was fine….she asked for it once but we talked about “going like a big cousin!” and she was fine.

8. Sara Shalom says:

I don’t know how you feel about this, but maybe you could let her observe you or her big sister happily using the big potty, to show her it’s safe and a “big girl” thing to do…

Thank you all SO much for the helpful advice! I really appreciate all the great tips! We are leaving soon for our vacation so that might be a good time to “lose” the potty. I’ll report back.

10. Gabriel says:

We had the same problem, and I got tired of carrying the potty seat in the car everywhere. After about a month, we went to the store and picked out a toy for him to get the first time he went on the big potty (Fisher-Price School Bus). It took about a week, I think because he forgot about it. I showed it to him again, and he talked about it for a couple of days before he actually did it. Plus (as with the first all dry day) we went out for ice cream on the first day he used the big potty all day. I even made sure he had to use a public one. Now if I could just get him to keep his hands out of his pants . . .

Gabriels last blog post..Really Really Very Very

11. I’m trying to get my daughter off her little potty too. She will use the public toilets, no problem, but when we are at home she screams if we even suggest she use the big toilet. We might have to just have it disappear some day, but I’m not sure that is the best plan. I don’t know! I’ll let you know if we find something that works.

Sally McEntires last blog post..Progress…and Some Random Thoughts