Garden – Miniature Fairy Garden (Weekly Unplugged Project)

By , June 30, 2008 7:26 am

We have had a Wee Enchanted Garden kit in the closet for several years, but had not yet put it together. So that’s what we did this week for the Unplugged Project theme of garden.

The Wee Enchanted Garden is a mini fairy garden in a box. Since we love fairies, it was a fun project, but I think it would be even more fun and very easy to create your own fairy garden without a kit.

This is what came in the kit: a plastic plant saucer, paints in the three primary colors, a paint brush, soil (it feels like a very light seed mix), grass seed, assorted beans (to grow into the “trees”), stones, gravel, little plastic figures (a frog and a rat), some seashells, and a lovely little fairy house made of wood and bark!

First my two oldest children painted the saucer. Since the paints were just yellow, blue, and red, it was a good exercise in color mixing too.

My youngest happily painted with some water colors and, in typical 2 year-old fashion, refused all colors but blue:

Pita, our assistant:

After the paint dried, the real fun began: the planting and arranging.

The children wanted to add a few other treasures to the garden. They disappeared into their rooms and returned with a penny, a marble, and a plastic snake (to eat the fairies?).

One tip: be careful when you water. We used a watering can and flooded it a bit. There is no drainage and the seed soil is very light. Next time we will water by spraying with a spray bottle.

This would be a very easy project to replicate without the kit, although I think that lovely little house makes the kit really wonderful.

+++++++++

Here’s one more garden project idea. This one is more ambitious, but very worthwhile!:

The Children’s Garden

+++++++++

If you joined in this week for garden, then please leave your link in Mr. Linky and a comment so we can all find your project. If you didn’t join us, read about how to play and consider doing next week’s theme.

+++++++++

Since we will be flying on a plane soon, the theme for next week’s Unplugged Project will be:

sky

Hope to see you next week!

14 Responses to “Garden – Miniature Fairy Garden (Weekly Unplugged Project)”

What a great idea. I bet the boys would love doing something like this. Thanks, my mind is already working on ideas.

Heathers last blog post..

2. Kayris says:

That looks fun! Very cute!

Kayriss last blog post..Unplugged: Windowsill Herb Garden

3. Dayna says:

Thanks for another unplugged theme. We too had fun mixing primary colors this week. The house and garden are cute – I cant wait to see what grows for you guys.

Daynas last blog post..Unplugged Challenge – Garden

4. Nature Mama says:

What a fun project! That’s really got my creative thoughts going :)

Nature Mamas last blog post..Unplugged Project ~ Garden

5. Christy says:

Looks like a fun project. I love the little fairy cottage.

Christys last blog post..Weekly Unplugged Project – Garden

6. Hello, I copied your idea! I hadn’t gotten around to write my post about our regular garden and when I saw yours this morning it inspired me to do our own version.

Heather & Johns last blog post..Unplugged Project: Smurf Garden

7. [...] July 1, 2008 in Kids Crafts Once again we were inspired by a song for this week’s unplug your kids challenge for garden. [...]

8. I love this idea! I want to make one with cilantro (’cause I love cilantro =) Hmmm, where should we put it so that Jayden doesn’t get into the dirt…

Julie K in Taiwans last blog post..Octopus’s Garden

9. Robin says:

I’ve been lurking for weeks and finally had a chance to join in. Thanks for hosting and sharing your great ideas!

Robins last blog post..Unplugged

10. Sylvia says:

Thanks for sharing ideas every week!! This week I join the project with a little garden we make in spring ang we show the result in our blog.

thanks

Sylvias last blog post..jardín en el balcón

11. Kate in NJ says:

Well, I forgot to come back and comment, but I did join in
    this week. ;-)
    Love the fairy garden!

Kate in NJs last blog post..Unplug Your Kids Group Project

Wow- look at all the people you had participate! That’s so great! I’ll get back in the swing one of these days…

The Fairy Garden is adorable, and I agree that the house really sets it off. I can see doing something like that just for my own amusement, let alone CJ’s!

Jennys last blog post..Surprise!

13. Dana says:

I got my entry in late, but we really enjoyed it. I love that you set up this weekly project!!!

Danas last blog post..Unplug Your Kids: Garden

14. Andrea says:

My son and I loved doing this project! We copied your mini garden idea but didn’t use a kit. We have had so much fun everyday watching the ‘trees’ and grass grow.