Puzzle (Weekly Unplugged Project)

By , January 6, 2008 9:03 pm

The theme for this week’s Unplugged Project was: Puzzle.

We decided to make our own jigsaw puzzles. I had been thinking of using magazine pictures pasted to thin cardboard, but my 5 year-old son had the brilliant suggestion of recycling our 2007 calendar. This worked well since the pages were stiffer than magazine pages and needed less reinforcement. In fact we didn’t have enough thin cardboard for the backing, so we used construction paper as a backing for one of them and that worked fine.

The first step was choosing pictures. There was some squabbling over who would get August so I declared that if they couldn’t cooperate, then no one would get August. Things settled down after that.

Once each child had chosen a picture, they tore them out, trimmed the edges, and pasted them onto thin cardboard (the top of a shirt box) or construction paper.

Then came the fun part. The kids cut the pictures up into pieces. My son decided to keep it simple, but my 7 year-old daughter cut hers into little tiny pieces!

Then, they put them back together again a few times.

It was a fun little activity for this gloomy, rainy day.

I look forward to seeing what you came up with at your house! Please sign in with Mr. Linky (if he’s here this week) so that we can all find each other.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Next week’s Unplugged Project:

Sculpture

Don’t worry, we’re not talking Michelangelo-quality here.

My kids came up with this project idea. When they said “sculpture,” I was thinking mundane playdough or clay. Silly me. My children apparently were thinking far more imaginatively and began talking about cardboard dogs and natural sculptures made from materials collected outside.

This is yet another reason why we adults should just stay out of our kids art work as much as possible. They often have far more creative vision than we do!

14 Responses to “Puzzle (Weekly Unplugged Project)”

1. Christine says:

Oooh great idea! We have a gorgeous horse calendar that I was contemplating on what to do with it. I wanted to frame a couple to put on the walls of my horse-crazy daughter but now I know what to do with the leftover months! :D

What a smart kid. I did not even think about using the calendar. Great job.

3. Becky @ Boys Rule My Life says:

Wow! Those were some tiny pieces! I probably would have given up on putting that back together! Good for her!

Puzzles drive me crazy. :) The boys enjoyed it though!

So, I have to ask, what was so exciting about August? :)

I’ve invited a few friends to join us on the weekly projects… I hope they do!

4. Kate in NJ says:

We have yet to do anything other than nap and read around here, but it sure looks like you all had fun!

I LOVE the idea of recycling the calendars! I wish I hadn’t already thrown our’s away :(

Jenny

Recycling the calendar for your puzzles was an inspired idea- I’ve just been letting CJ flip through them to look at pictures. I can’t wait to see what your kids come up with for the sculpture!

7. Christie says:

I’ve been reading your blog for several weeks now, but only this week finally remembered to do the project. We broke out the glue and did something with those old puzzles that are missing a piece or two.

8. Amber says:

I love the calendar idea! I am going to go check and see if I kept our old calendar.

9. Hansen Family says:

Love the puzzle idea. I have been “lurking” around your blog for months now and appreciate your work!

10. soo says:

Hi,
    I have also been lurking around your blog for a while now, I was pointed to it by a close friend.
    Your blog has lots of wonderful ideas. Lily and I have decided to partake in this weeks project being the sculpture. It is the first time. We were busy making vege sausage rolls and with the spare pastry we have made a modle of stonehenge and a dog feeding from a bowl. Hopefully when they turn out from the oven we will be able to paint them. Unfortunately we can’t put photos up as our camera is not working properly. But just wanted to thankyou for all the wonderful ideas and inspiration. :-)

Welcome Soo! I am glad you de-lurked. Nice to “meet” you and thanks for your kind comment!

Hello “hansen family” and welcome to Unplug Your Kids. Thank you for your nice comment. Nice to “meet” you!

13. [...] did not do well with the Unplugged Project this week (theme: [...]

14. [...] Comments Unplug Your Kids » Puzzle (Weekly Unplugged Project) on Unplugged ProjectUnplug Your Kids » Sculpture (Weekly Unplugged Project) on Unplugged [...]