Knitting My Brows Over Knitting

By , December 18, 2007 1:58 pm

This week’s Unplugged Project (Yarn / String) has inspired me to try a little knitting! As I child I used to knit, but my mother did the casting on and off, and I never got as far as learning how to purl. Unfortunately any small amount of knitting knowledge that I once had, has been buried under thirty years of other information.

But nonetheless, today I saw some pretty cotton yarn and some needles in a store and I bought them! My Christmas present to myself I guess. I must be a “Crafty Mom Wannabe.”

Now, how does one knit? I know that there are a lot of wonderful knitters out there in the blogosphere. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good, basic, “how to knit” website?

I promise to post a picture of my first effort, no matter how dreadful it turns out to be!

11 Responses to “Knitting My Brows Over Knitting”

1. dkjsv05 says:

Try http://www.knitting.about.com. Then on the side click on the learn to knit link. Hope it helps

I will be anxiously awaiting a progress report…I got a knitting book for children a few months ago and never could figure out how to cast on!

3. dawn224 says:

I started a santa hat for Alex yesterday. Hope to be done by the weekend to get a pic up :)

4. Christie says:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/ has videos. very helpful.

dkjsv05 and christie: Thanks so much for the links I’ll definitely check them out!

Dawn, you are way ahead of me!

Jenny – I just ordered a children’s knitting book for my daughter for Xmas today, but really it is for me. If it is simple and for kids, that is probably about my level. But your comment is not encouraging! LOL!

6. LaDonnaMobile says:

I learned to knit from the old Reader’s Digest reference book on knitting (borrowed it from the library) but one-on-one help proved more effective in actually getting me to produce somthing!

As for mother-daughter projects, I find crochet much easier—at least until my daughters are older!

7. Marsha says:

You asked about websites (and knitting.about.com is indeed a great resource), but I also recommend a book called The Knit Stitch, by Sally Melville. It has both text explanations and color photographs of techniques, useful patterns tailored for novice knitters (but far more interesting that just scarves), and lovely musings about knitting and handwork as active meditations in a frantic world.

Ladonna: Thank you! I suspect you may be right about crochet being easier. I just ordered a simple kids crochet book as a Christmas gift for my daughter. Along with a hook and some yarn it will be a great gift that will fit in a suitcase. Thanks for the inspiration!

Marsha: Thanks for the book recommendation. I looked at your link and was inspired to order it! Thanks so much!

9. Kate in NJ says:

Oh good luck!
    I’m terrible at crafty stuff.
    My Mum-in-law is great at all of it, but too far away to be a help..and
    I’m so terrible it’s pathetic.
    Let me know what works for you..maybe I’ll try. Our library also has “knitters” who teach people to knit
    certain evenings..they sit in the coffee area, so you may try yours.

10. 3 moons and the sea says:

I just taught myself how to knit a few weeks ago with the help of a book called ‘Bitch ‘n stitch’. Great book. Good luck!

11. CelticMommy says:

Jeez, how do I miss all these posts! All that Christmas crafting went to my head!

My favorite way to learn to knit was by a book (pre-internet) called “My Knitting Teacher” by the Susan Bates line of needles. And I like “Knitting School, a complete course” from Sterling Publishing and “Baby Knits for Beginners” by Debbie Bliss. When you get adventurous, there’s also “The Ultimate Sourcebook of Knitting and Crochet Stitches” by Reader’s Digest. Want to borrow them?

Now, there are some insane sites, but I know more about crochet…