What the Candy Fairy Brought

By , November 3, 2007 12:42 pm

OK, so it wasn’t the Candy Fairy exactly, it was Mom. I didn’t think that at ages 5 and 7 they would suddenly start to believe in a Candy Fairy, so I simply said:

“How would you like to trade in your Halloween candy for a toy?”

My daughter said: “Can I trade it all in for a fish?”

My son said: “Can I trade it all in for a transformer?”

I said: “Sure.”

So we did. It was that easy! Honestly, I was anticipating more resistance to the idea. I guess I was lucky.

The fish was OK with me as long as my daughter agreed to take care of it herself. The transformer was not my idea of the perfect toy, but ever since my son played with one at a friend’s house, he has desperately wanted one. I scoured Amazon for the least violent transformer that I could find and finally settled on a Star Wars space ship that he seems to love.

They actually didn’t get much candy this year, so I may be the loser in this particular deal. At least they traded willing though. And they also agreed to the idea of a Candy Bank where all party candy will be put to be traded in for something when enough has been accumulated. Hooray!

14 Responses to “What the Candy Fairy Brought”

What a wonderful idea to just have the kids trade in their candy for a toy. I think that will become our Halloween tradition too once CJ gets old enough to care about the candy!

2. amanda says:

I’m so happy for you that your plan worked! Isn’t it nice to know that we can find creative ways to deal with the hurdles? I didn’t realize the extent of Halloween candy until we went trick-or-treating. I thought ten houses meant ten little pieces of candy. Instead each house gave us about five or six pieces. I was so touched by the generosity but a little puzzled on what to do with all of the treats. We ended up sharing with the neighbors–college kids who were happy to have it. When Ivo is older he will probably enjoy having the option of the candy fairy.

And by the way, my husband has some of the old Transformers and I am so impressed with the kind of lessons they teach about design and moving parts. Too bad about the violence aspect, but as for educational toys I think they would really hold their own in the mechanics department. They had me using my noodle, that’s for sure.

Enjoy your new pet :)

3. Kate in NJ says:

I’m glad it worked.
    Cute fish!
    We save a lot of that “birthday party candy” for using on Gingerbread houses. I pop it into a big bin in
    the back of my pantry.

4. WhyMommy says:

No way! That’s great that it worked! Hurrah!

I was playing with a transformer over at Stimey’s house last week and never did get it fully in the form of a truck. Maybe next time I’ll ask her 6 year old.

5. courtcourt says:

What a SMART idea! I’m SO stealing this from you next year! (This year, I only have a 2 year old, who has no idea what happened to all the candy she collected.)

6. CelticMommy says:

Em bought the Candy Fairy idea hook-line-and-sinker… his candy *whoosh* disappeared and in its’ place was a new set of Lego’s that is in love with. When people ask him about the new things he’s been creating, he proudly tells them “the Candy Fairy gave these to me and she took all my candy”. It’s spreading…!! :-)

We only had about 200 kids this year, so I’ve got a lot of candy left. All the Hershey’s and M&M’s are stored away to make cookies and things and the rest went to hubby’s work for his students to eat.

I’m off to clean up the rest of the decorations. Have a great Sunday!

7. utenzi says:

That is a great idea for dealing with candy and kids. My hat is off to you–and your kids for agreeing.

8. peppylady says:

First time here.
    I came the way of Meow and I know I didn’t spell it right.

I never thought of asking my boys they would trade there candy in for some toys.
    I didn’t mine my boys having candy they always ate a fairly balance meal with fruit and vegetables.

9. Amber says:

Great idea & so glad they went for it! I think I’ll tuck this “candy as cash” idea away and try it out later!

10. Homeschooljourney says:

Hmmmm, why didn’t I think of that? What a great idea!

PS What did you do with all the candy?

11. Jen says:

Candy fairy came and met the Tooth Fairy. TF left A fifty cents, and CF left a DVD for each boy. Yeah, we’re not terribly unplugged here. Actually, we’re pretty plugged. Gotta work on that. But no toys, we’re toyed out…I can’t keep track of the lead recalls, though I try, and I’m about to start doing the pre-Christmas toy purge. ; ) Love the Candy Fairy.

12. […] My Friday trip to Walmart to buy my daughter’s new fish was my wake up call that the next holiday is actually Christmas. Two days after Halloween, Halloween was GONE. The little that remained was relegated to three small shelves containing a few squashed nylon Jack O’Lanterns, several flimsy costumes too ugly to have made it into a shopping cart, and a few dozen bags of cheap, tasteless candy that is now even cheaper (and which will certainly be even more tasteless by next Halloween). […]

13. […] 7 year-old daughter really loved the whole exercise and of course chose to write about her new fish that she acquired by trading her Halloween candy. She immediately hung her haiku and drawing up in her room by her fish (along with some very funny […]

14. […] is full, the kids get money for charity in exchange for the candy.  The first time I did this, I let them each choose a small present in exchange for the candy.  Ever since then, I have given them $10.00 collectively to donate to a […]