The Garden I Dream of…

By , August 5, 2007 7:51 am

Here it is, the garden of my dreams. A difficult garden for Arizona, even in the more temperate area where I live.

This is the garden bordering the path to my step-sister’s Upstate New York home.

Look at those happy flowers!! Look at all that lush GREEN!!!!!!

Her complaints are 1) Flowers so happy that they are taking over and need dividing, and 2) A huge infestation of Japanese Beetles dining on her roses. I would suffer with problem number one any day (she can keep number two though).
She doesn’t want to use pesticides on her lawn. Does anyone have any natural solutions for combating Japanese Beetles? I read somewhere that planting garlic keeps them away. My step-sister is of Italian descent and is a great cook, but I don’t think even she wants a lawn full of garlic!
Please share any ideas you may have. Thanks!

This post is part of The Sunday Garden Tour at A Wrung Sponge.

6 Responses to “The Garden I Dream of…”

1. kate says:

This is a lovely garden. I don’t know of any good Japanese beetle treatments – they seem to be plaguing many gardeners this year.

There is much love in this garden.

2. Beth: says:

What a beautiful garden! Sadly, I don’t know what to do about the japanese beetles, I’ve got them here too. Heh.

3. The Parents Zone says:

Beautiful Garden…Oh no Japanese beetles…I have found this info…hope gonna helpful…

Thanks for the link Parents Zone. I’ll pass it on to my step-sister!

5. cloudscome says:

What a gorgeous garden! I could spend days wandering there. Too bad about the beetles… I always consult Mike Mcgraph for things like this.

6. Obsidian Kitten says:

Beautiful garden! Wow.

We have japanese beetles, too–oodles of them. My dad buys these plastic jug sort of traps at the feed and seed (I’m sure garden supplies have them, too) and there is some sort of bait that goes in them. The beetles fall into the trap and when it’s full (they’re not dead, so I don’t think it’s a pesticide, just a lure) he buries them (note: the beetles smell very yucky! lol)

The trap holds maybe a quart or so of beetles, and they fill up around here in maybe a week or so. I don’t know how often he has to replace the baits. It’s not exactly an “all-natural” solution, but it’s not a poison/pesticide, either–nothing to spray on your plants or harm animals or kids. And they *definitely* work.