“Unplug Your Kids” in Family Fun Magazine!

By , August 4, 2010 7:27 am

The August 2010 issue of Family Fun magazine has a great article entitled “The Great Unplugged Challenge” (“Better Than TV” on the cover) about a family who unplugs the TV and computer for 5 days. It would be an interesting and fun read for anyone considering unplugging their family.

Plus, I must admit proudly, that I was interviewed for the article and am mentioned (along with Unplug Your Kids) several times! VERY exciting!!

It’s on news stands now. Enjoy!

(PS.  A big thank you to Jennifer King Lindley for writing this article and for including me and Unplug Your Kids!)

14 Responses to ““Unplug Your Kids” in Family Fun Magazine!”

1. That is so cool! Congratulations!

2. Joslin says:

CONGRATULATIONS!! I am a big fan of Family Fun AND Unplug your Kids, so that’s the best of both worlds!

3. Karen B says:

Congratulations! :) I’ll be looking for the issue and article.

Thank you!

5. Jane says:

I found your site by reading the article in Family Fun, and I have been checking back eagerly so I could get in on the Uplugged Project fun. Can’t wait to see what my kids and I can dream up for “pretty”.

6. Michele says:

I found your site right before I read the Family Fun article. I was thinking – 5 days? What about that blogger I just found who did it for way longer? And then there you were! Weirdly enough, I have an “real life” friend in that issue, too. Congrats to you!
    Michele´s last blog post ..Our Nature Play Club- Reporting on Our June Beach and July Play Events

Funny coincidences! Thanks very much for the comment and the congratulations!

Welcome to “Unplug Your Kids” Jane! I am glad you are thinking of joining in the Unplugged Project and I look forward to seeing what you come up with for “pretty!”

9. Tracy says:

I noticed your name in the article-congratulations! Was looking forward to reading the article but was disappointed. Only 5 days and the kids were in school? Not much of a challenge. They could have been plugged in constantly the weekend before and after. Plus with supper and homework, there is not much time in the evenings anyways.

Thank you for your congratulations and comment Tracy! You make an excellent point about the article by the way. 5 days, especially during the school year, is a pretty limited experience. But it did demonstrate that you don’t just have to turn off all electronics immediately and forever. A trial period allows a family to see what good things might come out of unplugging and perhaps make things easier and more successful for a future, more permanent change.

Not every family is cut out for a hard core, cold turkey just shut it off for a week or maybe forever approach. Especially for a family with older children like the author’s, I think a gentle introduction to unplugging is probably easier.

Many people think that TV and computer use has to be all or nothing and I really believe that that is not the case. Balance is everything. For example easing into unplugging with just one night a week to start, works well for many and allows for a smoother transition to more unplugging later.

Any experiment with unplugging is worthwhile in my opinion! However, I do agree with you that it would be interesting to read about a family with older children who successfully eliminated their screens for a really long period of time.

Thanks again for commenting!

11. Jennifer King Lindley says:

So glad you liked the article and I hope it helps more people find your wonderful site…..Thanks for all your help with the piece…and point well taken that it was only five days…it was still a challenge in our plugged-in house……Maybe next time we will try for a week (gulp!)

Thanks Jennifer. You’re welcome for the advice, and honestly, I think 5 days is a fine start. My children’s Montessori teachers talk a lot about “setting your children up for success,” and I do believe in that strategy. Make it fun, or at least tolerable, and that can be the “thin end of the wedge” for further cutbacks should a family wish to do so!

13. Michelle says:

Wow congratulations…it is always so much fun to read my Family Fun Magazine and see blogs that I read featured!!

14. GrandpaDavid says:

Have you read the IKEA Playreport, a Global Survey on Child Development and Play? 73% of children said they’d prefer to play with their parents than watch TV, while 71% of parents feel that they should “encourage more creativity at home,” but they don’t know how! It’s no surprise to us at Inspire Imports that our modern society is losing creativity, or that there is a growing ingenuity gap. On the other hand, we are seeing a positive trend towards people of all ages wanting to turn it around, learn those lost skills, and explore their creative passions.