Last Minute Wrapping Paper

By , October 30, 2008 7:58 pm

This is a quick post and certainly nothing that will change the world.

My 2 year-old was invited to her first birthday party last week. 10 minutes before leaving for the party, I realized that not only had I not yet wrapped the gift, but that I had no wrapping paper (other than Christmas paper!). I had no newspapers for the old “wrap it in the funnies” trick, so I had to think fast.

I wrapped the gift in aluminum foil and added some ribbon. I think it turned out pretty well … considering!

What have you used as wrapping paper in a pinch?

11 Responses to “Last Minute Wrapping Paper”

1. warillever says:

Beautiful!

I save all of the kids’ easel-sized paintings to use as wrapping paper. Pretty and personalized, plus it makes use of something that my little artists would produce anyway.

warillevers last blog post..Busy Kids Learning

Looks festive to me! We’ve also used tissue paper, and brown paper bags with stickers and/or stamps. I hope your little one had fun at the party!

Jennys last blog post..At Last…Books!

3. Gerky says:

Well, I am not sure it is really “creative” but we have used odd packaging. For Dill’s birthday we used a graham cracker box to mask the gift but didn’t take the graham crackers out…lol. You can read the post here: http://homefrontlines.blogspot.com/2008/08/my-middling.html

Gerkys last blog post..Unplugged: Thin

4. Juli says:

Once I got the day wrong for a birthday party. I thought it was the next day and the neighbor boy came over to remind us of his sister’s birthday party and it was starting right then, so I did use the Christmas wrapping paper! I was slightly embarrassed for my daughter, but luckily she was just four and really didn’t care.

5. I like it, it’s shiney!

We’ve used a bag that is like a gift bag, but it had a shop’s advertising on it, but covered up the advertising with flower punchies/punchouts. We like to use old paintings from Jaylene’s preschool days. At home for gifts for each other we have some lengths of fabric that we just tie up with ribbon. It’s not always pretty, but the kids can do it themselves and it’s reuseable.

Julie K in Taiwans last blog post..Happy Halloween

6. Kayris says:

I’m a gift bag kind of girl. We never have wrapping paper!

However, this year everyone is getting their Christmas gifts wrapped in handmade wrapping paper. My son brings home 2-3 paintings from preschool per week on a huge piece of paper. It’s only October and I have a huge pile already. And because he’s 4, they all look similar. So I’m using them to wrap gifts.

Kayriss last blog post..Yoga For Kids

7. Baba says:

Empty Cereal Boxes with a bow works wonders!

Babas last blog post..Waste Not, Want Not

8. Sara says:

It looks very festive. I’ve used my kids’ art (I’ve even ripped it down off the wall in a pinch), brown paper bags and then had the kids draw on it, or yardage of pretty fabric tied into a quick bundle.

Saras last blog post..I said “sure, no problem”…

9. Alyssa says:

I keep a roll of butcher paper up in the closet for emergencies… it’s a little thin but if you double up it looks great! and it’s the perfect surface for kids to color on for decoration, or potato or apple stamping, or even just some colorful stickers!

Alyssas last blog post..fifty-one : amigurumi dude

10. Marta says:

I guess mostly for adult gifts, I use a beautiful Dutch teatowel. For a kid, you could use a beach towel, or something smaller!

11. Lisa Kay says:

You could have used the “wrong” side of the Christmas wrapping paper. If too plain, let your kids draw or paint the paper, either before wrapping, or after.

For odd shaped gifts such as a toy in the dreaded clamshell packaging, use 1 or 2 pieces of cheap poster board, big enough to fold around the item. Punch holes around the perimeter with a hole punch. Put gift inside and “stitch” the two sides together using yarn, curling ribbon, string run through the punched holes.

Taa-daa! It impresses the Moms like you wouldn’t believe.

You can also use cereal boxes, etc., wrong side out to make this unique gift packaging.

Mother Necessity,