A Closet Kitchen – DIY Play Idea

By , October 7, 2008 7:56 am

My 2 year-old has a favorite play place: her very own closet kitchen.

Does your house have one of those long closets under the stairs?  You know, the wedge-shaped ones that simply collect junk?  Although they are a nice idea, they really aren’t too useful because of how the ceiling slopes way down towards the back.

Our wedge-shaped, under-the-stairs closet happens to be in the playroom.  I have shelves on either wall for the storage of toys and books,  but the very end of the closet, where the ceiling gets low, used to just be a scary junk pit.

One day I suddenly had an inspiration:  create a little play house back there.  Since the ceiling is at 2 year-old height, I thought it could make a really fun little 2 year-old sized playhouse!

I had an old spring-tension shower curtain rod that fit very nicely across the narrow width of the closet.  I added a $6 Walmart curtain panel (if you are craftier than I, you might enjoy making your own) and hung it all up towards the back end so as to create a little private space.

I moved the play stove in there, and stocked that end of the built-in shelves with all the pots and pans, toy dishes, pretend food, and toy appliances.

The last issue was light.  With the curtain closed, the play area was too dark.  So, the finishing touch was a trash basket tipped over to create a little table, upon which I placed a small lamp.  Now the tiny kitchen has its own cozy source of light.

If you are worried about a 2 year-old and a lamp, then you could always stick one of those battery-operated push lights high enough on the wall or ceiling to be out of reach.

My 2 year-old loves to bake me cookies in “her” kitchen now!

10 Responses to “A Closet Kitchen – DIY Play Idea”

1. Amy says:

OMG!!!! That is awesome!!! Now I wish I had a crazy little closet under the stairs. Something about that is a little Harry Potter to me too. What an amazing use of space.

Amys last blog post..Anywhere

2. Amanda says:

Not a lot of Aussie houses have stairs but if I had stairs I would do this. Good idea.

Amandas last blog post..Made On The Left

3. Baba says:

That is the perfect use for this tiny space. Kids love to have their own private space, even if it’s just to read. Great going mom!

Babas last blog post..Where Have I Been?

4. Karen B says:

I remember a friend of mine had a kitchen under the stairs when I was a little girl. :)

5. nina says:

I love the idea! We got rid our plastic kitchen before we moved because I never liked it. Now we are considering a wood kitchen but since Cate is going to be five soon it now seems like an unwise investment. I’ve often thought a few shelves set up like a kitchen would be just as well. Now I wish I had a spare closet.

ninas last blog post..Where I’ve been…

6. That reminds me of the girls’ closet when they were two — same slanted ceiling. We ended up putting all sorts of play stuff in there. They eventually turned it into a house and we painted a window on the wall and mounted a “flower box” that they loved to play with.

exploreacademys last blog post..Snakes!

7. That’s adorable and efficient. luv it

Julie K in Taiwans last blog post..DIY I Spy Picture Story

8. Wishy says:

You never cease to amaze me. That’s the cutest idea. Your 2 year old is a lucky girl!

Wishys last blog post..Photo time!

9. Closet says:

Amazing idea. Great use of stair space and your cutie must be very happy to have her own closet to play and to have fun.

-Mini

10. […] confirmed with Mom and Dad that neither Mom nor Dad knew how to fix TVs, she went happily off into her kitchen to […]