Trees – Handprint Trees and an Unexpected Visitor (Weekly Unplugged Project)

By , August 29, 2008 8:42 pm

Unplugged Project Special Edition

Now that my camera cable is back, here is our project for trees. Better late than never I suppose!

++++++++++++

I was fairly uninspired for the Unplugged Project theme of trees. It needed to be simple since we were in Albuquerque for the weekend, away from any supplies beyond crayons and paper. No one had ideas, then I suggested making trees out of our hand outlines. The idea was met with very little enthusiasm, but my oldest daughter and I decided to give it a go.

First we traced our hands:

Then we cut some small branches off some trees that needed a bit of pruning anyhow. We took the leaves off the branches to stick them on our handprints:

What started off as a rather dull project quickly became exciting when one of the leaves I was stripping off a branch suddenly hopped onto the countertop and began walking around!

He was amazingly similar to the leaves I was using and none of us had seen him, even up close, until he jumped off.

We all ooed and aahed and squealed with delight as our surprise visitor crawled on our hands and showed us that he knew how to fly.

After we had all had a very gentle turn with him, we carefully returned him to his tree.

Here is a photo of him in the tree to show you how well camouflaged he was (if you are having a hard time spotting him, look for the brown spot. That is him pooping – much to the delight of the children):

After that bit of unexpected excitement, we finished our projects with new enthusiasm!

++++++++++++

This was an Unplugged Project “special edition.” Be sure to check back on Monday morning to see what everyone comes up with for this week’s theme of insect.

9 Responses to “Trees – Handprint Trees and an Unexpected Visitor (Weekly Unplugged Project)”

1. Karen B says:

Beautiful photos! I can’t tell you what variety, but I’m pretty sure your visitor was some kind of katydid.

2. Kayris says:

Okay, if a leaf bug suddenly hopped up and started walking around on my counter, I think I might scream. But how neat! How amazing nature is. Great pics!

Kayriss last blog post..The Teenage Years…A Little Early

3. That is quite an exciting project and your surprise visitor looks pretty cute. I must admit, I’m not a big fan of buggies. We finished up our insect project today, it’s pretty girlie girlie though. Will post it after the official blog post goes up.

Julie K in Taiwans last blog post..Robot Bugs & Science for young girls

4. Christin says:

Oh how fun!!! God made those katydids rather well camoflauged, huh?! Great project!

Christins last blog post..Booking Through Thursday – Stories

5. The Mommy says:

That bug is so beautiful! I would have loved to have a similar experience with my kiddos. I loathe spiders, but just about anything that isn’t arachnid is cool with me, and open for educational experience. Daddy gets to introduce spider material!

6. I love when we “run” into nature that way! How fantastic!

Ginger Carlsons last blog post..Getting Out of the Way of Imagination

7. Baba says:

This must have turned out to be so much fun for all of you. Good Idea being so far from your supplies.

Babas last blog post..Another at Vanilla Joy

I love that idea! CJ really likes to trace her hand (or try to) so this would be a hit. And the leaf hopper was such a great bonus. What kid isn’t fascinated with pooping? :o)

Jennys last blog post..It’s Raining!

9. Sarah says:

What a fun, simple project! Thank you!

Sarahs last blog post..Schultueten