Flat – Stepping Stones (Weekly Unplugged Project)

By , July 28, 2008 6:48 am

Hooray! We managed to participate in the Unplugged Project this week!  This week’s theme was flat.

My step-mother wanted us to make some “flat” stepping stones for a muddy patch of her garden here in Upstate New York, so I got brave and bought concrete, something I’ve never worked with before.

Our supplies were the smallest available bag of quick-set concrete (40 lbs – ugh!), a bucket that we wouldn’t reuse, a stick to stir, some old shoe boxes for molds, and an assortment of “treasures” – dollar store shells and buttons, glass stones from a garage sale, and pieces of a cereal bowl that we broke by accident earlier in the week:

I mixed the concrete with water in the bucket. My advice: don’t try to mix too much at once. It is VERY hard to stir. Next time instead of trying to dump from a 40 pound bag, I would scoop some powder into the bucket so as to keep the mixture small and manageable. You can do several small batches like this, mix it more easily and thoroughly, and save your arms!

We poured the concrete into the molds and the kids began decorating:

We let them dry in the garage overnight. Tip: to move the now heavy and floppy shoe boxes without bending them and messing up the wet creation I slid a rimless cookie sheet under each one and transported them to the garage without damage.

24 hours later we were able to remove them from the molds. They came out very easily:

And here they are! Aren’t they lovely? My step-mom is thrilled:

++++++++++++

What did you do this week for flat? If you joined in the Unplugged Project this week, please put your link in Mr. Linky below and leave a comment. I am still on vacation (until Wednesday), so I will try to visit, but can’t guarantee.

+++++++++++

The theme for next week’s Unplugged Project is:

Rough

Hope to see you next week!

13 Responses to “Flat – Stepping Stones (Weekly Unplugged Project)”

1. Ashley says:

I was really excited to give this a try. Getting to post about it is a great motivator.
    I love the stepping stones. Very creative:)

I am so glad that you are back this week. I love the stepping stones. I have always wanted to make them with the boys but living in an apartment we do not have much use for them.

Heathers last blog post..

3. meg says:

Ohh, there are so many ways to go with “flat!” I can’t wait to read what everyone did. We thought of pancakes, flowers, rolling dough, and paper, but we ultimately went with Flat Stanley! :)

megs last blog post..Unplugged Project – Flat

4. Michelle says:

Flat seemed so open ended at first that it was intimidating but then I ended up having tons of ideas. More than we could possibly do. Flat Stanley came to mind… but I want to save that for a project when my kids are a bit older. We ended up rolling out cookie dough which was fun because I normally only do that around the holidays. I used a yummy summer recipe Lemon Sugar cookies. And then we did leaf rubbings from some leaves we flattened last fall in a book.

Michelles last blog post..Flat (Weekly Unplugged Theme)

5. Karen B says:

Great stepping stones and I love that you recycled the broken bowl!

Flat week was a big hit with my son. We did Flat Stanley, too. :)

6. Nature Mama says:

Hi :) I’m glad your back! Love your stepping stones, they turned out really great :) I especially like the sea shells in them. We never thought of that when we made ours. Next time!

Nature Mamas last blog post..Unplugged Project ~ Flat (flower prints)

7. Welcome back! Great stepping stones. Interesting choice with rough…

Julie K in Taiwans last blog post..Flat Jaylene

8. Candy Cook says:

I made a crochet swiffer cover. It’s flat. The boys did not help me, though. They have been way too busy playing with all the blocks (left over wood) that daddy had from building the new compost bin and workbench. But, you can see my crochet swiffer cover – http://raisingexplorers.blogspot.com/2008/07/figs-halloween-crochet-for-your-swiffer.html

Candy Cooks last blog post..More Beneficial Cleaning Stuff…

9. […] this week’s unplug your kids challenge (Flat) we read the book Flat Stanley and created a “Flat Jaylene”. For those of you who might […]

10. nina says:

Wow, you make working with concerete almost seem doable. ;) The results are amazing. I almost want to try it.

ninas last blog post..Tell me…(and a book post in disguise)

11. Jessica says:

Loved your stepping stones!

Jessicas last blog post..Finger Painting

12. Mommy Niri says:

This would be great with handprints or footprints right? Great memory item for the garden.

Mommy Niris last blog post..A Jam Packed Saturday

13. hi, i’m francesca from italy
    really nice project! i want to do it with my kids at the kindergarten!!

officina dei coloris last blog post..A piedi nudi…