Paint – Experimenting With Paint (Weekly Unplugged Project)

By , June 1, 2008 8:12 pm

We’ve been getting so fancy lately with our Unplugged Projects, that this week I decided to keep it simple. It was a warm, unscheduled day full of happy play, indoors and out. An 8 year-old visiting school friend was here for the afternoon, so I just set out watercolors, washable tempera paints, paper, and crayons and let them have at it to see what they would do.

At first they just painted and tried a little wax-resist with a white crayon:

Then our friend had the idea of pouring on paint and folding the paper in half to make “ink blot-style” paintings. My oldest daughter and her friend had fun with this for quite a while. Here is our friend’s first “ink-blot” piece, a butterfly:

Here are some more:

And a few of the finished paintings:

My 5 year-old son did a bit of real painting, but he was more in the mood to do his paint with water book. If you are not familiar with these, they are like coloring books, but the pages are pictures filled in with colored dots. All you do is brush water over the page to make the colors emerge and appear to have been painted. Not the most creative activity in the world, but quite fascinating really. In fact, I distinctly remember absolutely LOVING paint with water books at about his age. This one is Babar (from the local dollar store):

I wisely left my little 2 year-old daughter bare chested for the project. By the time she had finished her purple masterpiece she was, herself, also a purple masterpiece:

A good time was had by all, and some very fine art resulted from our fun!

+++++++++++++++

Did you paint with us this week? If so, then please put a link to your project in Mr. Linky. If not, then consider joining in next week. It’s easy and fun. Click here for more information.

+++++++++++++++

The theme for next week’s Unplugged Project is a little different. I’m just going to leave you all with an adjective:

Sticky

This doesn’t mean that the project needs to leave your kids and your house a sticky, horrible mess! Free associate with sticky: Tape? Glue? Velcro? Honey? etc. etc. etc.

Good luck and I can’t wait to see what we all do for sticky!

23 Responses to “Paint – Experimenting With Paint (Weekly Unplugged Project)”

1. Spookiez says:

Okay, maybe not with Recipes! LOL!! It seems to have picked up my name from Menu Plan Monday ;)

Spookiezs last blog post..Menu Plan Monday

2. With the temps rising, we froze our paint

Julie – Havin’ Fun Yet?s last blog post..Freeze Frame

3. Marble and straw painting.

4. Claire says:

Looks like you all had lots of fun! There are some beautiful colourful creations there!

I used to love the water paint books as a child and have often tried to track them down for my own children but have only come across them on a couple of occassions, which is a real shame. Perhaps they just aren’t so popular as they once were? I think they’re great!

Claires last blog post..Unplugged project – paint

5. Tina says:

Paint butterflies are timeless and great for any age! my kids love doing these.

Tinas last blog post..Sunflowers Round Two!

6. Pam says:

My kids loved doing the paint and fold activity when they were a little younger. Maybe I should try it again!

Pams last blog post..Our Watercolor Projects

7. Michie says:

I almost got out the paint with water book for Paige too. I got one for her because I remember loving them as a kid too!

Michies last blog post..Unplugged Metal and Paint

8. [...] check out what the other families did this week for the Paint weekly challenge. What painting activities do you do with your [...]

9. Great paint ideas, and I think it’s wonderful that they were given free reign. We tried outdoor painting with homemade cornstarch paint.

Julie K in Taiwans last blog post..Homemade Paint

10. Glad to be back this week. Paint blots are always fun! My girls love those water paint books too — the kids think they are magical!

Let’s Explores last blog post..Painting on Canvas

11. amanda says:

Paint was a fun inspiration in combination with the gorgeous spring weather we’ve been having, so we had a blast making outdoor ‘chalk’ paint.

amandas last blog post..kid-made sidewalk chalk paint

12. TopazTook says:

Our paint was “scratch and sniff” (generic Kool-aid) “paint.”

13. I love doing “it looks like” paintings! We’ve got that idea in our Bored Box! :) Looks like you guys had a blast!

We painted our breakfast!

Becky@BoysRuleMyLifes last blog post..Painting Breakfast

14. Kate in NJ says:

We’re back..love to paint!!
    I often have P make a “blot print”
    of her paintings when she has used too much paint
    on the paper so it is too thick to dry properly.

Kate in NJs last blog post..Unplug Your Kids Group Project

15. Tanya says:

Our first Unplugged Project….we’re SO about the painting!

Tanyas last blog post..Unplugged: painting

16. warillever says:

We love “blot prints” !

Come over and see the mess we made. Lots of fun.

warillevers last blog post..The Painters Three

17. Christin says:

Wonderful project! I hope to have ours completed and up tomorrow! :) It was too nice a day out today to be inside. Tomorrow it’s supposed to rain all day, so it’s the perfect time for projects indoors! :)

We should have some kind of “gardening” project. That would be fun!

we are back. sorry we missed the last couple of weeks. great project the boys actually did the same thing this week.. they used stampers then folded. They had a great time.

Heathers last blog post..

19. *pixie* says:

Wow. The water books bring back the memories for me.

*pixie*s last blog post..pomp & circumstance ii

20. ToddleBits says:

I remember water paint books, too! I enjoyed watching the colors magically appear on the page. Looks like everyone had fun!

ToddleBitss last blog post..Tuesday’s Toddler Tornado #4: Lookie Bottles and Bags

21. kristen says:

Love those folded paper prints!! I remember doing those when I was a kid! This week my kids painted everything from the garbage cans to sticks to themselves! Thanks again!

kristens last blog post..Painted Sticks and Trash Can

22. Melissa says:

I loved paint with water books, too, and I have the same Babar book for O!

Melissas last blog post..Unplug Your Kids: Paint

23. Meg says:

I just found you, and I hope to join in the fun! I already have a great idea for sticky! :) My two year old girl will love it.

Thanks for the inspiration.
    Meg