Magazines (Weekly Unplugged Project)

By , February 10, 2008 9:57 pm

Anything related to magazines usually sends me straight into collage-mode, but this week I decided to be adventurous and try some decoupage instead. OK, I know, decoupage is really just kind of like 3-D collage, but we had a lot of fun.

I dug out some very old decoupage glue that I had stashed away. I think I bought it before my oldest (now 7) was even born and one jar of it did look ominously congealed. This shows you all just how often I do crafts!

NOTE: Here is a recipe for homemade decoupage glue and glaze (Modge Podge) – Modge Podge is the classic decoupage glue and glaze that you can buy in craft stores. For simple fun-with-kids decoupage, I personally would simply dilute some white Elmer’s-type glue with a bit of water until the consistency is workable but not too runny.

I also found a few items to decoupage: an ugly picture frame, one of many plastic restaurant cups (the kind with the plastic lid and straw that seem to collect in every cupboard), a useful-looking can that I had been saving simply because I am a pack rat, and a partially squashed little cardboard box (another pack rat item).

For those who have never tried decoupage, here are the basics of how to do it:
Cut out images from magazines, old Christmas cards, anything (you can even use stickers). Glue them in place on the item to be covered – like a collage! When everything is glued on, brush the whole object with glue (make sure you use decoupage glue or watered down white glue). It will go on white and cloudy but will dry clear. Repeat with at least one or two more coats. This will create a hard clear glaze over the object that will smooth out the cracks between the glued on paper and make a shiny finish. Allow to dry. You can use any object really, you can even do this on furniture with beautiful results.

We had a pile of kids’ nature magazines that had been read and were sitting around, plus a few catalogs. This is what we did:

The supplies:

My 5 year-old son chose the cup, my 7 year-old daughter chose the can, and I took the box. My son had no plan. My daughter decided to do all animals. And I chose to do blues plus neutral textures and patterns to match my bathroom (to make a little catch-all kind of box).

Gluing:

Painting on the glue to seal:

The finished products:

By the way, my whole box was done using the Chiasso catalog. So there really is a use for all those unwanted catalogs, while waiting for them to disappear after “declining” them at Catalogchoice.org.

What did you do? Please put your link in Mr. Linky if you did something with magazines this week.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Next week’s Unplugged Project:

Fabric

Don’t panic, it doesn’t have to involve sewing. How about making a collage of fabric scraps? Creating a dress-up costume out of old clothes or fabric remnants? Tear an old piece of clothing into strips and teach your child how to braid? Sort fabric scraps by color, or texture? Also, don’t forget that fabric glue exists if you want to sew something simple but can’t, or don’t have time.

What can you come up with to do next week with fabric?

NOTE: Mr. Linky appears to be down at the moment…so please just leave a comment and we’ll visit from that!

12 Responses to “Magazines (Weekly Unplugged Project)”

1. Claire says:

I’m very impressed. I particularly like the butterfly pot.

2. Andamom says:

It could be me — but I don’t see Mr. Linky… I am also not able to scroll to your next post.

That looks like a lot of fun! I can see CJ and I doing something like that in a few years, probably with a bird theme. :o) I just let her loose with scissors and an old magazine-

4. Tamara says:

I wanted to try decoupage but didn’t get to it this week. Maybe soon! We did another collage which the kids enjoyed again.

5. Nature themes seem to be popular! Seeing your project makes me feel better about my annoying habit of keeping shoe boxes even though I have no storage space: now we can decoupage them into toy boxes!

We had fun, too: http://momandkiddo.blogspot.com/2008/02/unplugged-project-collage.html

6. Andrée says:

I’m sorry I am so late. I teach on the college on Monday nights this semester and couldn’t link up this morning (at 5 AM! ewwww). But here I am! But I am going to star this post so that Wingnut and I can try it this summer. Thank you!

7. Maria says:

Decoupage seems funny. I’ll try someday.

Here is what Joel did: http://eklectikos.blogspot.com/2008/02/weekly-unplugged-project-collage-con.html

1kiss.

Your projects look great. Sorry we did not get to the projects this week. Everyone is getting sick here. So the unplugged time was playing board games. I am very excited for next weeks project. We have so much fabric. Lots of ideas brewing. Thanks……

9. Diane says:

Fun project! I love paper and glue (so fun to get on your fingers!)-so this was right up my alley. I love the dog on your cup! The little boxes would be great for holding jewelry and spare change.

Thanks for the project! :)

10. coastalgirl says:

Great results you had there. We didn’t get to the magazines…but did shape collage instead. I plan on a people collaging project next week from magazine clippings in addition to fabric…stay tuned…we’ll see how it works out. Here’s the link to our shape collage and geometry:
    see you next week. Thanks for sharing…

11. TopazTook says:

I’ve been reading for a while now but am a little behind on posting. Here’s my link to a post describing what we did for both “Magazines” and “Fabric.”