Egg Cartons (Weekly Unplugged Project)

By , January 27, 2008 8:06 pm

After guests, blog moving, and sick kids (croup and colds), I didn’t have a lot of time to prepare for this one. I know…excuses, excuses, excuses.

I came up with the idea this week, but the kids added to it and modified it. My idea was Tiddlywinks. Do you remember Tiddlywinks? Does anyone play Tiddlywinks anymore?

First we cut the top and little side flap off the egg carton. Then my oldest daughter marked each cup with points. First row 1, next 5, third 10, etc. Then we took the little plastic disks from our Bingo game and played Tiddlywinks with those.

It was hard. I have always been bad at Tiddlywinks, and still am apparently! The kids weren’t much more successful either.

I then suggested that we try bouncing a small ball into the cups. That worked MUCH better and was actually pretty fun.

At first the tall, pointy, cone-like structures between the cups (there is probably some interesting technical term for these in the egg carton manufacturing world) got in the way a bit, but then my 7 year-old daughter suggested that we cut them off. So she did.

After that it was smooth sailing and fun playing. My daughter decided to use the top of the egg carton to record her scores.

By the way, my daughter had the idea of playing Mancala with the egg carton. I thought that was very clever, but it was too rainy today to go out and collect stones.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Next week’s Unplugged Project:

Pipecleaner (or Twist Tie? Or Wire?)

(This was my 5 year-old’s suggestion, so blame him if you don’t like it!)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

16 Responses to “Egg Cartons (Weekly Unplugged Project)”

1. Andrée says:

No, I never ever played tiddlywinks, and this ball game you guys devised looks like fun. Mine is Mancala: it was the only thing on my mind for this week. It’ll be interesting to see what else comes up! Next week will be hard!

2. Christie says:

I NEVER understood tiddlywinks. The ball game sounds like fun, though.

3. Becky says:

That looks like fun! I have a couple extra egg cartons left… maybe I’ll give that a whirl!

Two of my three boys are sick with colds and they might enjoy a new game. Thanks for the idea!

Those are great projects. That is to bad that you could not get the stones for mancala. Looking foward to next weeks project.

The new site looks great! And I played many, many games of Tiddlywinks with my sister way back when. That was really a good idea on your part- too bad it didn’t work out so well. I’m hoping that I’ll actually be able to take part in the next project now that (hopefully) things will be getting back to normal around here.

6. Claire says:

We really enjoyed the project this week – even if we did end up doing something slightly different. I hope we won’t get kicked out for not following the topic suggestions properly
    :-)

7. Kate in NJ says:

Looks like you had fun, we did..even if we (like Claire)
    went “off” a bit. :-)

8. Christie says:

I thought you might enjoy seeing this!
    even professional artists like egg cartons.

9. warillever says:

This is my first submission. I hope y’all enjoy it.
    I tried to make a snowman for the “sculpture” week, but sorry to say, we failed miserably ;)

Welcome warillever! I enjoyed your projects!

Christie- Thanks for the link to the egg carton art. Very nice idea! (And such a coincidence that she posted that today!) Perhaps we should try egg carton pictures next. Hmm….

11. Tamara says:

Your games look like fun. I think we will try the ball idea. I have an *almost* empty egg carton that needs to be used! I have never played Tiddlywinks either, have no idea how to play. Isn’t that funny? Something everyone has heard of but apparently many of us don’t know much about it.

12. Christine says:

I was about to mention mancala, but then I saw it later in the post. We’ve done that too. Love your blog and looking forward to reading more! We’re not completely unplugged (not quite as brave!) but we strictly limit all media time. Thanks for the inspiration!

13. Jess says:

The kids have been enjoying these projects . . . so far they’ve both involved treats! The game was a fun idea . . . I’ll have to remember that–we still have more cartons. I can’t wait to do the pipe cleaners.

14. Thanks for the great suggestions for these projects. I liked your tiddlywinks idea, but since Kiddo is a little young, we did some counting instead. We have a package of red pipe cleaners collecting dust which we look forward to using next.

15. coastalgirl says:

Hi there…I just found your blog from six one way group pool.
    Love your site..great stuff here. I just posted a project yesterday with egg cartons here: http://coastalgirl.typepad.com/coastalgirl/2008/02/nature-box.html
    if you’re interested…I guess we all are lovin’ egg cartons!
    thanks for sharing your ideas..
    Krista