The Inaugural "Unplugged Project"

By , October 15, 2007 9:13 pm

Is anyone interested in taking part in a weekly kids’ project? I am not a “crafty” person, but for a while now I have been thinking that it might be fun to have a weekly “Unplugged Project.” I am envisioning a sort of “virtual” art crawl featuring original art loosely based on some sort of theme or medium, but the rest being totally up to the kids.

This is the way I thought it might work:

- On Mondays I would propose a project that might be fun for kids to do.

- Anyone who wanted to take part would have a week to complete the project.

- The following Monday I will post pictures of our completed masterpieces and put up a Mr. Linky where you can link to your children’s masterpieces.

- What would be even more fun, would be if non-bloggers wanted to join in too. Any non-blogging reader could email me their photos and I would love to post them on Monday along with mine!

What do you think? It might be an interesting way to get the kids away from the TV. In my household, I am hoping it will get “The Mom” away from the computer. A win-win for all!

Since it is still nice and fall-like in most parts of the Northern Hemisphere (and probably nice and spring-like for those of you in the Southern Hemisphere), I thought that we should begin with a project that involves going outdoors.

My project proposal for this week:

Supplies:
- liquid paint (tempera, acrylic, etc.)
- paper
- outdoor treasures

1) Go outside with your kids, either on a walk or hike, or even in your own backyard.
2) Have them collect natural bits and pieces with interesting textures.
3) Pour some liquid paint on a plate
4) Using the found objects as stamps, see what patterns they make on the paper.

That’s all I am going to say. Kids can make this as simple or as fancy as they want depending on their age and ambition.

If you have a blog, write a post about your project on Monday, October 22 – with photos if possible please! Come back here and put your name and link in Mr. Linky so everyone can find your art work.

If you do not have a blog, but would like to take part, I would love to hear from you! Please take pictures of your project and email them to me at unplugyourkids “at” gmail “dot” com. Please try to get them to me by sometime on Sunday at the latest (I am US Pacific Daylight Time at the moment – like California), so that I have time to get them in my Monday post. Also include any additional information that you want me to publish (names, and ages of your kids, etc.). Don’t worry, I won’t publish anything that you don’t want me to.

What do you all think? Will it be just me next week, or are others interested in trying this too?

If you think that this is a good idea, please help spread the word. The more the merrier. It would be really fun to see what art emerges from this!

Thank you to morguefile.com and photographer natepowers for this photo.

13 Responses to “The Inaugural "Unplugged Project"”

1. dawn224 says:

I think it’s a fab idea …. I’m in when the baby is older.

We’re in! I think it’ll be just the sort of motivation I need to let CJ get messy with paint. I’ll do a post about it soon and help get the word out. Great idea!

3. Andamom says:

Oh this would be a lot of fun. I just got a key to our community garden once again and can try to go with Gabriel to collect stuff. Of course, I’ll need to try to work on a project with him. The real question is — Can a 17-month-old do a project? My teenager is WAY TOO COOL for projects ;)

4. Jody, mom to 6 mo old Evelyn says:

Just wanted to say I found your blog by accident (sort of…I searched for “baby toys without batteries”). I love it! I really hate that it seems like all the toys in the stores now have batteries and make tons of noise. I would love to be able to find all the toys that I had as a kid…the links on your site are great. Keep it up–you have tons of anti-noise moms like me behind you ;)

Great! Thank you all for your interest. I think it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Andamom – I think I will get brave and try this with my 21 month-old (perhaps immediately followed by a bath), so I would love to see what you and your 17 month-old can come up with.

Jody – Thanks SO MUCH for your comment. It is comments like yours that make me feel like I am not wasting my time with this. Please stop by again! I wish I could respond personally by email, but Blogger doesn’t let me see people’s emails. We anti-noise Moms must stick together!!

6. Jess says:

This is a great idea! My daughter and I would love to participate.

My personal blog is private but I will be checking back in here on Monday to see the other links. :-)

7. chanale says:

I just saw this today (Thursday). I’ll plan to do it tomorrow with my 3-year-old and take pictures. Great idea!

8. amanda says:

what a fun idea! count me in :)

9. nina says:

I love the idea. I may try something first thing tomorrow morning. If not I will try for next week. I so need the inspiration for this sort of thing. A big thank you!

10. Daphne says:

Hi! I found your page through Kate who did your Unplugged Project and was kind enough to link back to you, I guess we “missed” last week’s stamping, but perhaps we’ll double up and do both of them this week. Thank you for inspiring some fresh ideas :)

11. [...] Last Monday I proposed that any interested bloggers or readers come together for a weekly group children’s art project: The Inaugural “Unplugged Project. “ [...]

12. [...] about the first “Unplugged Project.” If you didn’t read my post, “The Inaugural Unplugged Project,” please check it out now. I am trying to start a weekly children’s [...]

13. [...] like to pass this one along to everyone who has ever joined in with the weekly Unplugged Project. The first time I proposed the idea of a weekly project, I fully expected to be doing it alone, yet six brave souls showed up at the [...]