Toy Recalls…AGAIN!

By , October 4, 2007 6:59 pm

I just heard on NPR news this evening, that today there were yet more toy recalls due to lead paint. This is the link to the CPSC toy recall list, however as of this evening, the latest recalls are not on the list, so here are direct links to the new recalls in detail:

Kids II Recalls Baby Einstein Color Blocks Due to Violation of Lead Paint Standard
(Baby Einstein Discover & Play Color Blocks – soft fabric blocks)

Children’s Decorating Sets Due to Violation of Lead Paint Standard; Sold Exclusively at Toys “R” Us (“Totally Me” Funky Room Decor Set)

Dollar General Recalls Tumblers Due to Violation of Lead Paint Standard (Frankenstein Cups)

Eveready Battery Co. Recalls Toy Flashlights Due to Violation of Lead Paint Standard (“Pirates of the Caribbean” squeeze-type flashlight)

Target Recalls Plush Boys Rattles Due to Choking Hazard (Rattles are a white baseball with red stitching, a brown football with white stitching, and an orange basketball with black stitching)

I don’t think any parent would disagree that this is appalling and disheartening. I wonder how many toys we own that violate lead paint standards? Every time I see the baby put a toy in her mouth, I cringe and ask myself that question. No matter how high-quality you think your toys are, you just never really know for sure.

8 Responses to “Toy Recalls…AGAIN!”

1. missbecky75 says:

I am with you on this!

I’ve been “stalking” your blog for a while and thought I’d finally comment, as I, too, love to get comments! :)

I have enjoyed many of your posts including the Candy Dilemma! Great Idea!

Also, my husband and I have been talking about going “unplugged”. We’ve decided to start with one week and see how it goes. We did this before the kids when it was just us for almost 3 years; it was great!

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that “I was here”! ;o)

Becky

Will it ever end? I doubt it, until some major changes are made. I’m really wondering what to get CJ for Christmas this year!

3. Cheryl says:

Good post!

I’m back up and running. New computer. Finally! It’s good to know somebody missed me. :o

Hope you had a great summer! I have a lot of reading to catch up on!

4. dawn224 says:

We have old Tonka trucks of Scouts from the 70s… I’m assuming don’t ask don’t tell on those….

5. Scribbit says:

I guess look on the bright side–all these toy recalls means my kids get their toys rotated through regularly :)

6. amanda says:

Thank you for this post. We do not own any of the recalled items, but we play a few times a week at a communtiy center that is full of toys like these. It is so disheartening to think our children are being put at risk by the very things we give to them to help them thrive and have fun. And I can’t help thinking what toys are not being recalled, but ought to be. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Becky- Thanks so much for commenting! I just love it when someone “de-lurks!” Please let me know how your unplugged week works out.

Glad to see you are back Cheryl!

Scribbit – I like your positive attitude about all this. Maybe I will try to alter my thinking too.

Dawn- We too have many 1970′s toys from my own childhood. I don’t really want to think about those too much either. But, after all, I survived!

8. CelticMommy says:

I’ve slowly gotten rid of so many toys (luckily none recalled) and it just upsets me to no end… why are these toys passing through!

Oompa may be expensive, but I know that I’m getting a safe product. Otherwise the wee ones are going to have to make due with mommy’s homemade monster plushies!

Sorry I haven’t been arond much… will write soon. :-) Hettie