Change – Weekly Unplugged Project

By , October 25, 2009 8:19 pm

This week’s post is a change from other Unplugged Project posts.  The theme for this week’s Unplugged Project was change.  We did lots of things this week that involve change, but no real sit down and do it kind of “project.”  None of these projects were planned around the theme, they just happened.

Change the world: On Thursday I took my oldest daughter and a few other children from her class to our local soup kitchen to help serve lunch and clean tables.  I am leading a community service workshop for our small Montessori school’s elementary class (6 to 9 year-olds).  If we want to change the world, we must start with the children.  More on this project later.

Small change (can change the world): Of their own initiative, my oldest daughter and two friends have formed a secret club called The Helping Hands Club (The HHC for those in the know!).  On Saturday they sold homemade chocolate chip cookies that they made (by themselves) and pumpkins (that they bought with their own money) to a few neighbors and made $21+ in small change for charity!  (Reminded me a bit of the great Heifer International Christmas ornament sale a few years ago.)

Change of seasons: It is fall in our part of the world and we walked together on this glorious fall day. The sky was blue, the fall colors vibrant, the air crisp yet comfortable. A fire is crackling in the fireplace now as I write this.

Changing the worm bin: Yes, the worms in our worm bin are still happily eating, reproducing, and pooping.  It was time to change the bedding and harvest the castings, so we did it today.  The kids love interacting with the worms.  We are trying a new harvesting method this time, more on that later if it works.

++++++++++

If you did a change Unplugged Project, then please link to your POST not just your blog in the Linky below. If you did not join in, then do not link, but you can always read more here about how to participate in the Unplugged Project. We’d love to have you!

++++++++++

The theme for next week’s Unplugged Project will be:

Smell

Have fun and be creative!

++++++++++

9 Responses to “Change – Weekly Unplugged Project”

1. Claire in Tasmania says:

Wow, I love your daughter’s HHC! What a great idea. What charity are they giving it to?

Our family attended our local 350 event (www.350.org) to join the international campaign for Climate Change Action on Saturday. It was a lovely picnic by the sea with other families.

They think they’ll give to the local food kitchen because they have all been working there. Later they say they’ll switch to another charity. They have an appointment to rake fall pine needles on Saturday!

How wonderful that you had a local 350 event! It sounds like it was wonderful!

3. Lymm says:

Did you see this, about Baby Einstein videos? I immediately sent it to my relatives who felt I was stunting my son’s verbal development by not offering him the videos as an infant. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/24/education/24baby.html
    .-= Lymm´s last blog ..Review and Give-Away (Winter’s Tail) =-.

4. […] The unplugged theme for this week is CHANGE. I thought about changing up our housekeeping/kitchen area to a store but then I came across a better idea that I wrote down a while ago in a notebook. We changed our puppet theater into a drive-thru in the driveway. […]

5. Karen B says:

I am so impressed with your daughter’s fundraising projects. Especially raising $56 at age 7 with the Heifer Project ornaments!

Thanks for the link! I had heard about this vaguely, but this particular article was really interesting, especially since I have had Campaign for Commercial Free Childhood on my blogroll since….forever? Definitely worth a post. Thanks again for thinking of me!

Thank you, so am I! My oldest daughter was simply born a very caring person. I try and encourage that trait in all my children, but she has always been extremely empathetic. I’ll be interested to see where she ends up in life.

8. CJMom says:

The topic inspired many conversations this week, but project-wise, getting to Mexico was our project for the week! A change in itself! We were all excited this morning when I suggested taking a picture of our money changing transaction to blog for the project. Gracias!
    .-= CJMom´s last blog ..Change – Combiar =-.

That is a great idea for change! Have fun in Mexico!