Eggs of Honor

By , September 11, 2007 8:59 pm

Today I promise not to bore you all once again with tales of my A-list vegetables…but how about my new A-list eggs!

A-list eggs are fresh from the chicken. They come in a carton of twelve, just like grocery store eggs, but they are all different sizes, colors and even shapes!!! Not the uniform white or brown varieties that look like they were made in a factory in China, along with everything else in this world today. You can sense the happiness, exuberance, and individual personalities of the chickens that laid these A-list eggs.

The shells are rough, not smooth and porcelain-like. The thickness of the shell seems to vary from egg to egg also. Do stubborn chickens lay eggs with thicker shells?

In my opinion, the yolk is what sets a fresh egg apart from its copycat grocery store cousins. When you crack a “really happy egg” into a frying pan, the yolk stands up straight and doesn’t seem to want hide itself by melting away into everything else. It stands tall and proud. It is an egg of honor. It is an egg with good self-esteem.

When you eat a happy egg, the yolk has the consistency and texture of sweet cream fresh from the cow. It coats the tongue in a most delightful way.

Signs of egg freshness:

• Shell is rough and chalky (the smoother and shinier the shell, the more ancient the egg)
  • When placed in a glass of water, egg sinks. If it floats – no good! (as an egg ages, the small air pocket inside it expands and causes the egg to float rather than sink)
  • I read that a stale egg has an unmistakable “rattle” when shaken, a fresh egg does not (I haven’t tried this one)
  • When cracked, an egg that runs out more like water than goo is probably old
  • In a pan, a fresh egg yolk stands up and the white is noticeably thicker

9 Responses to “Eggs of Honor”

1. Kelley says:

:) My parents have chickens so I get fresh eggs from them. Sometimes they won’t lay and squeezing them doesn’t work, so I have to go and buy the cardboard eggs. Not the same!!!!! There is a world of difference in taste and texture.

Thanks for commenting on my blog. Your lovely comment made my afternoon :)

This post had me chuckling first this morning, which is no easy feat! I never thought of eggs being happy or not, or that they had self-esteem. You illustrated your point beautifully- now if I could just find some of my own A-list eggs!

3. CelticMommy says:

One of my favorite things about farm eggs over store-bought is the chance that I’ll get a double yolk… which is supposed to be lucky! I brought home eggies from a farm a few months ago and when Em was helping me crack open the eggs (oooh, that’s a blog in the making!) we had two double yolk eggs. He was very happy about it.

Enjoy your farm goodness! :-)

4. dawn224 says:

I cracked a bad egg once. I can totally vouch for the water consistency.

Unfortunately, I was also five weeks pregnant.

Unfortunately, I also decided that sniff checking it was a good idea.

Um. Needless to say, we ordered pizza that night – and eggs were off the menu for the next 37 weeks.

Wow! Thanks for all the great egg comments! This seems to be a subject that is near and dear to us all.

I am jealous of your double yolks Hettie (Celtic Mommy), I have never seen even one in my whole life. You should definitely write about that!

6. CelticMommy says:

A few years ago there was a farm about 1/2 mile from my house (remember… I’m in total suburbia, but the last vestiges of the farming community were still visible if you knew where to look). It was called Trafficanda Ranch and they had the best eggs. I don’t eat eggs… I only make them for others and use them in baking. BUT, I still like fresh and local for everything I use… and it shows in the finished product.

Now that I have kids, I really miss the farm being within walking distance. A church took over the property and now there is a giant parking lot where the chickens used to be. Ick!

There is a dairy farm close by and an old orchard house also. FIELD TRIP!!

7. Jen says:

I’m only able to eat “fresh from the chickie” eggs, otherwise I get terribly ill. I’d love to get happy eggs. But I gotta tell ya, everytime I scrolled down this page, my sorry mind thought that close up of eggs was, uh, a close up of something else…until I finished scrolling. LOL!

8. Whymommy says:

Yum! What a great reminder — thanks!

9. utenzi says:

This might not be a good time to mention that I’m doing a few experiments on chicken eggs. They are fresh, straight from the chicken tho. And the Rooster.