Green – Photo Scavenger Hunt (Weekly Unplugged Project)

By , May 4, 2008 8:25 pm

Green was the theme for this week’s Unplugged Project. When I thought of green, I was planning on being clever and doing a “green” (ie. recycled) project, instead of one involving the color green. I had a plan…but I won’t divulge it, we’ll just do it another week.

The weather was so lovely today that the children wanted to take a “kids’ walk” (a short walk that I let them do by themselves down our quiet road and back home on the golf course cart path – total time en route: about 5 minutes). Rather than keep them inside for a project on a day like today, instead I suggested they bring along the camera and take pictures of everything they saw on their walk that was green.

Kids love cameras and digital cameras are perfect for kids. Children armed with cameras take lots of pictures and most don’t come out too well, but there are often a few great ones in amongst the blur. Even if you buy an inexpensive disposable camera, why pay for processing a bunch of fuzzy photos? Especially when very simple digital cameras are so inexpensive nowadays.

If you do buy your children a camera, I have one word of advice (learned from experience): buy one with a rechargeable battery. They will take LOTS of pictures, forget to turn it off, etc. Most cheap kids’ cameras have regular old batteries that will last about half an hour under such conditions. This could either turn into a very expensive proposition, or you’ll never want to let your kids use their camera because of the cost of batteries! So – spend a tiny bit more for the camera and get one with a long-lasting, rechargeable battery they can actually use.

End of digression.

Here are the best results of their green scavenger hunt (7 out of 25 photos a success – see what I mean about the value of a digital camera for kids?). Because I realize that my kids’ photos of pine needles may not be quite as fascinating to the general public as my children might like to believe, these 7 pictures are in slide show format that you can choose to view or not. The point is, that a Photo Scavenger Hunt of any kind, can be great fun for children, especially outside on a lovely day!

+++++++++++++++++++++

If you took part in this week’s Unplugged Project then please put your link in Mr. Linky (plus comment in case we lose Mr. Linky for some reason) .

+++++++++++++++++++++

Next week’s Unplugged Project theme will be:

Newspaper

I hope to see you all next Monday! What can you do with the theme Newspaper?

+++++++++++++++++++++

11 Responses to “Green – Photo Scavenger Hunt (Weekly Unplugged Project)”

1. Michie says:

I’ve added my post – although I’ve had all kinds of problems with Blogger tonight and have had to write the last paragraph several times, so who knows what it says at this point! LOL

I can’t seem to see your pictures. I’ll have to come back and check them out.

2. Maria says:

Great idea. I thought the same, but Joel took only stranges photos: socks, clothes, seats…

1kiss.

3. [...] If you’ve been reading along this week, you’ll know that my kids are both sick – BabyGirl with an ear infection that is clearing up, and JediBoy with a sinus infection that is not. So we did just one simple Unplug Your Kids project this week on the theme of green. We made plaster squishy bags (I’m sure other people have a better name for them than that!) with blue and yellow powdered tempera added to make them turn GREEN. [...]

4. ToddleBits says:

The photo hunt sounds really cool, but I couldn’t see your slideshow. We did a hunt of sorts this week, too….toddler style!

5. Tina says:

We loved doing our green project!!!! And I can’t wait to start newspaper!!!! I let my kids use the camera all the time. Love the digital because we can delete the not so wonderful ones. We love to record our projects on the camera.

6. Happy Monday! I love the photo scavenger hunt idea. My girls both have digital cameras and love to take pictures — I love not having to pay for film developing for 20 blurry photos of their own fingers. I think we will take some color photos like this to go with each of our color poems we are working on — starting with green!

7. MatchMomma says:

Go Green!! http://matschsticks.typepad.com/matschstick_adventures/2008/05/unplug-your-kid.html
    + don’t forget we are having a contest/giveaway this week on our blog!
    :0)

I couldn’t see your slideshow either- I wonder if it’s a browser issue? I love your idea of the photo scavenger hunt, and CJ is dying to get her hands on our camera….maybe next year!

9. Pam says:

That is a neat idea to have a green photo shoot. (And an even better idea to use the digital camera!)

I love the scavenger hunt idea. I am definetly going to have to try that with the boys. I wanted to let you know that there is an extra link from my little family today because Sam started his own blog and wanted to share his project there. Enjoy

11. CelticMommy says:

I totally would’ve done a “green” project too, but we made Bath Salts/Shower Scrub for Mother’s Day… in green Cucumber Melon. :-) Hettie

Oh P.S. We’re thinking of a camera for the boys now, so thank you for the tip!