Weekly Unplugged Project – Pumpkins

By , October 28, 2007 9:27 pm

The results: Left to right – ages 21 months, 7 years, and 5 years.

I don’t know about you, but we got messy again! Thank goodness for washable paints.

The kids had fun, especially the baby who seemed way more “into” this project than the last one. She was jumping up and down and squealing, all while adding more and more paint to her pumpkin until it was completely covered in a green, muddy mess (far left).

I hope it all went well for your household too. I look forward to seeing your finished work. Don’t forget to leave your name and link in Mr. Linky! Here are some more photos of our pumpkin painting session:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have had a request for a project next week that is “less arty.” That’s fine with me. In fact I called it simply “The Unplugged Project” (rather than the “Unplugged Art Project”) for exactly that reason. How about we try a writing/art project? For those who are more verbally inclined (but there is an art option too) here is next week’s project:

Haiku

1) Write a haiku and illustrate it, either via original artwork or photo

-or-

2) Read (and share) a haiku and illustrate it, either via original artwork or photo

-or-

3) For smaller children, parents can find (or write) the haiku and help their children “illustrate” it

-or-

4) Any other haiku/poetry possibilities that you can imagine! Anything is fine…just go with what you want to do!

(unless you have a newly budding photographer at home, the photo option is probably more one for any older children or adults who want to take part and would rather not illustrate)

Haiku:
– subject: everyday things – often nature, feelings, or experiences
– length: three short NON-RHYMING lines
– form:
1st line: 5 syllables
2nd line: 7 syllables
3rd line: 5 syllables

Click here for some examples.

11 Responses to “Weekly Unplugged Project – Pumpkins”

1. Tamara says:

Thanks again! Your pumpkins look great. I need a crafting tablecloth like you have. We’ve just been spreading out newsprint.

2. Andrée says:

I KNEW they would look better than mine. But at least mine is BIGGER! humph

3. courtcourt says:

I caught last week’s project from someone else’s blog, and decided to join in. Hope you don’t mind.

We had great fun! :)

4. missbecky75 says:

The pumpkins look great! I am really enjoying the painting thing a whole lot more than I thought I would! Thanks again!

This haiku thing is going to be more of a challenge (maybe because of the ages) but hey, I might just find a future poet or photographer in my house! :) We’ll come up with something!

Your kids did a wonderful job! Thanks for the wonderful idea. I will try the Haiku with my boys, I will be curious to see how that comes out.

6. Kate in NJ says:

Hi there!
    We’ve posted our pumpkin pics too.

It looks like you guys had a lot more fun with the project this week than we did! The haiku project will be interesting- I can’t wait to see how you do that with your youngest.

8. Daphne says:

We posted our pumpkins! Soph wanted to do tiny pumpkins so that all of our orange pumpkins would “match”. Note to self – the smaller the child the larger the pumpkin for easier painting :) We both had a blast regardless :)

9. Tamara says:

I’m excited about the haiku project. I think it will be nice to have a painting break. I might wimp out though and skip it with my 2 year old. But I think it is going to be a neat learning experience for my 4 year old.

My husband just laughed when I asked him if he thought B could write a haiku. Let’s see who has the last laugh. I have already started by trying to teach him what a “syllable” is. (I know, we have a ways to go!)

10. amanda says:

Thanks again. This was fun! Your pumpkins look so cute.

11. squirrel says:

Okay, I know I’m a day late and we used markers instead of paint, but I thought I’d try and participate anyway. Everyone’s pumkins look sooo great! Happy Halloween!