Birthday Books

By , February 14, 2008 10:18 pm

A quick post tonight. I have spent far too much of my little free time today trying to figure out what all this “tagging” business is about. I have categories, but I guess tags are meaningful for search engines??? I am learning a lot and that is good, but I have things to say that I don’t have time to say when I am learning a lot!

My sister just gave me these two books for my birthday: The Art of Simple Food: Notes, Lessons, and Recipes from a Delicious Revolution (Alice Waters) and Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life (Barbara Kingsolver). I am very excited about these books because I feel that I am in an unhealthy “meat and potatoes” cooking rut. Do any of you ever get in a cooking rut? Perhaps Alice Waters can assist me in thinking a bit more broadly (but simply). Also, I have been wanting to read the Barabara Kingsolver book for quite some time, so that is a happy gift too.

Have any of you read these books? If so, what did you think of them?

10 Responses to “Birthday Books”

1. I need to deal with optimizing tags as well, and hope to find an intern to offload some of these tasks…but meanwhile, here’s one of my favorite resources (Britt) writing about the how-tos of same, which I bookmarked in ‘I’ll get to it’ mode…

Let me know how the cooking books work out…I’m TOTALLY in a rut…and ever since my grill broke, not eating as healthy either, dangit…Gotta get in gear. If you find simple-n-fast…lemme know!

2. Marsha says:

Has your birthday already passed? Or is it imminent? Either way, happy birthday!

Hi Marsha-Thanks so much for the birthday wishes! (It was a few days ago)

Amy- Great link! I’ve bookmarked it and will have to refer back to it. I wish I had a few interns around here to give the grunt work to (I guess I have 8 feline interns? Does that count?)

I’ll be sure to report back on the cookbook. A friend of mine swears by the website Gastrokid (http://customcom.typepad.com/gastrokid/). I’ll have to study it more closely. But part of my problem is that I don’t really like to cook, not every day anyway. Sigh.

4. calicobebop says:

I am TOTALLY in a cooking rut. It’s hard to find the energy to cook healthy well-rounded meals with all the activities going on during the day/week. I’m sorry to say that I rely on Bob Evans mashed potatoes pretty heavily. :( Maybe if I check out those books I’ll change my ways.

I’m listening to Animal, Vegetable, Miracle on audio right now. I don’t have as much time to listen as I’d like, so it’s been slow going lately. I love everything I’ve heard so far, and I’m guessing you’ll enjoy the book while finding it a bit disturbing. I get in a cooking rut too- one of my least favorite chores is planning the weekly menu. I’ve been using the Sneaky Chef a lot lately, though- it’s an easy way to sneak extra vitamins into a regular recipe. I hope you had a happy birthday!

6. greenemother says:

Oh, I think you’ll really like Barbara Kingsolver’s book! It was sort of life changing for me! First off I think that she is a terrific writer and second I was in Vermont when I was reading it. It was during the summer and there most of been a farmers market everyday in one of the small towns near us. I think just doing what she writes about was really brave and especially cool that their daughter was willingly involved! It’s something that I would love to do, but for now doing little bits like shopping at the farmers market first and growing a small garden will work. After I finished reading her book I found Willa Cather’s book My Antonia at a flee market and it was a nice transition. Sometimes, I find it hard to go from one book to another, especaily if I’ve really enjoyed a book. Anyway, enjoy, enjoy and Happy Birthday!

7. greenemother says:

Actually it was O’ Pioneer’s not My Antonia!

8. Dayna says:

I think Barbara Kingsolvers book was life changing. I read this right after reading PLENTY which was also a great read. I think one of my favorite sections if the one where her daughter decides to raise chickens.

I find it quite hard to look the same way at out of country produce in my supermarket.

Well I don’t seem to be the only one who is in a cooking rut. I guess it is nice to know that I am not alone!

I really am looking forward to reading the Barbara Kingsolver book after all your rave reviews. “Life changing?” Wow! I hope I can start it today.

Thanks for the comments!

10. Just finished the Kingsolver book last night. I went in knowing I would love it, considering it motivated my conservative mother to join a CSA. This morning we went to our farmers market and tried to spread around some money, buying fresh brussel sprouts, apples, scallions (the organic scallions in our food coop are coming all the way from Central America), honey, and collard greens. One of the arguments for eating locally and seasonably that Kingsolver emphasizes repeatedly in her book is that food tastes better when it is in season and hasn’t had to travel, and I must say that so far she is right. Considering it’s only February, she won’t really jolt you out of your “meat-and-potatoes rut,” though perhaps she’ll inject some winter vegetables into it, but I think she’ll definitely influence you over the long run.