Miniature Food

By , June 21, 2010 1:30 pm

minifood

We are very late for last month’s Unplugged Project theme of bread, but since it is my blog, I am just going to slip it in anyhow!

Inspired by my recent emotional reunion with my beloved childhood dollhouse after about 30 years, I thought the kids and I could make some miniature food out of a glue-bread mixture that is commonly used by miniature designers (and me, many years ago).

First take a slice of white bread and tear it up into smallish pieces.  My 4 year-old was a great help with this step.

Pour some white glue on to your bread crumbs and mix it together with your hands (VERY MESSY PROCESS!). Don’t overdo the glue at first, you can always add more if you need to but it’ll probably end up being nearly as much glue as bread crumbs.

Squeeze it and knead it until you have a smooth ball of “dough.”  You’ll know you have the right consistency when it is smooth, looses its stickiness, and feels like real bread dough.

Next, decide what you are going to make and whether you want to pre-color your dough.  If so, you can divide it up and mix in some food coloring or paint to achieve the desired color.  We mixed in paint.  Here we are making green dough for lettuce:

Adding red paint to make cherries for a pie:

Mold your food.  A bottle cap makes a nice little pie dish or plate.  A toothpick is an excellent tool for both shaping and painting.

Leave it out to dry and harden, about 24 hours.  Once hard, you can spray it with a clear acrylic to protect it and create a shiny finish.

Here is some of the food we made:

~Some of my favorites~

Spaghetti and meatballs (in a bottle cap):

Chocolate chip cookies:

Cake and bread:

Hot dogs (with ketchup and mustard):

Now the dollhouse residents won’t be hungry anymore!

PS.  This month’s Unplugged Project theme is sleep.  Why don’t you join us?  Read more about how it works here.

8 Responses to “Miniature Food”

1. Kate says:

I think this is the best of your many, many wonderful ideas! Can’t wait to try it. Thank you!

Thank you! We had fun. Let me know how it goes for you!

3. […] crafty with…bread? See what Unplug Your Kids made when they transformed a loaf into modeling […]

4. KiwiLog says:

Hi! We loved your post over at KiwiLog and decided to feature it as part of our weekly mom blog roundup. Thanks!

Thank you so much!

6. Bethan says:

Oh my Goodness!! I can’t believe I have had the good fortune of stumbling over your lovely blog. Last year I managed to do three months over the summer with no TV and I can’t describe the positive effect it had on my two children. This summer I have been trying to summon the splurge of energy necessary to unplug the TV again – this time for much longer. I have been a bit daunted by the idea though – it takes some adjusting to. However, finding your blog has given me a real nudge in the right direction. It’s so inspirational to know you’ve been “unplugged” for 8 years. I’ll certainly be coming here for extra inspiration and ideas when I run out again. Big thanks!

7. […] are having a busy summer of travel, playing outside with friends, refurbishing and cleaning my precious old doll house (that is finally out of my Dad’s New York attic and home with us in Arizona!), sprinklers, […]

Hello Bethan,

Thank you so much for taking the time comment on my blog, and thank you for telling me about your no-TV experience.

Children really do respond amazingly well to a TV-blackout I think, but of course it can be hard to do initially! I am very glad to hear that it was a positive experience for you and wish you luck with any future efforts.

Please let me know how it goes, and if any of my ideas can be of help, then I am grateful! Thanks for finding me.