Happy Holidays!

By , December 23, 2009 12:28 pm

No I have not fallen off the planet. It seems I have taken a bit of a blog break though.

I’ve been doing lots of winter nesting at home as well as attending plays, concerts and events at my children’s school.

The annual class Heifer International bake sale brought in $870!! Bravo class!

All that baking, clapping and driving kids around has left me with little time or energy to blog. But since I Blog Without Obligation and believe in living life first and blogging about it all last, I guess my priorities are in the right place.

We are having a lovely Christmassy snowy day here today in the Arizona mountains, a perfect day to lock myself in the bedroom and wrap presents.

Our tree came yet again from our empty lot next door, and like last year, is a bit of a Charlie Brown tree.  A tree “only a mother could love, lol!”  But it is actually quite beautiful in a delicate, spindly sort of way.

Today we’ll make some cookies. Tomorrow, Christmas Eve, is our Bird Christmas Day where we make edible ornaments to hang in our yard for the wild birds. They’ll be especially grateful this year since food must be hard to come by with all this snow.

Best wishes for a happy, relaxing, and meaningful holiday for you and your family!

9 Responses to “Happy Holidays!”

1. Marta Zeegers says:

Oh darn! We just served our hand to Santa last night! My seven year old stepson made a beautiful stained glass cookie in the shape of his hand. He made me trace it and then cut a heart out of the middle and filled it with red candy crumbs to bake. It was beautiful! I hope Santa enjoyed it!

2. Karen B says:

I’m so glad you’re okay! I was starting to worry about you and your family. I love your statement about living life first and blogging later. I have to be careful not to take so many photos that I’m not participating in the events.

We did lots of “hand” made crafts as gifts and just because, but since they still haven’t been received I can’t blog them. We did have a very nice holiday and for the first time ever, my son (5) did not receive a single toy that requires electricity!

3. Claire in Tasmania says:

Good to hear you’re still around. I was getting worried :)

Happy New Year!

4. Karin says:

What a beautiful photo. Wow.

Happy New Year to you and your home. I like that, blog without obligation. That is me!

5. Ingrid says:

How did you make the bird ornaments? – What a great idea! I’d like to do that one sometime!

Hi Ingrid, I’ll probably write a post about our bird ornaments. But we do things like roll pine cones in peanut butter and birdseed (except this year we couldn’t do pine cones since they were all buried under the snow!), peanut butter and seeds inside orange halves, and stringing things like cranberries and raisins. It is a lot of fun, but usually the squirrels seem to benefit more than the birds!

What a lovely idea! I am sure Santa loved it! ;-)

8. […] the power of even a simple bake sale. In December, my children’s Montessori School class raised over $870 for Heifer International with a one day bake sale! SHARETHIS.addEntry({ title: "Help Your Kids […]

9. […] As I mentioned not long ago, every Christmas Eve the kids and I sit down and make edible tree decorations to hang on our trees outside as gifts to our wild birds.  We call it our Bird Christmas, but you could have fun making these at any time of year.  The squirrels often make off with many of our treats, but I don’t mind! […]