Our Last Selecta Toy

By , January 3, 2009 9:18 pm

For me, the New Year inspired many diverse hopes for a better 2009 and beyond. However, it was also the official start of my Selecta Mourning Period.

As I mentioned in a previous post, German toy company Selecta is the first casualty of the overly broad new Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA). Unable to afford the additional testing required by the CPSIA, Selecta ceased the distribution of its toys in the US market on December 31, 2008.

My prediction is that Selecta is simply the first of many high quality European toy manufacturers who will eventually succumb to the new burdens placed upon them. As for the lovely homemade toys currently available from Etsy sellers, or lesser-known “Mom and Pop” toystores such as Wood Toy Shop, Quiet Hours Toys, Down to Earth Toys, or many other favorites from my Unplugged Toystore list – their future is very uncertain.

Honestly, only mega-manufacturers such as Hasbro or Mattel and their Chinese mass-produced toys will be able to afford to jump through the added hoops.  Although these toys might be deemed “safe” at the end of their journey, for the most part, they are not what I want to offer my children.

Since my newly 3 year-old daughter has a January 2nd birthday (so close to Christmas, poor thing!), I decided to buy a farewell Selecta birthday gift for her. I chose the Stellina Star Sorting Puzzle. She really likes puzzles and this is a puzzle and a sorter combined. Put the arms of the star puzzle together, choose an awake face or an asleep face for the star in the middle, and then add the pegs of assorted sizes and colors.

She loves it! At this time, there are only three left at Amazon and I don’t know about other stores. So hurry up and Google Selecta to stock up before all these wonderful German toys are gone.

++++++++

To learn more about the new CPSIA and how it affects small and foreign toymakers, read more here: Help Save Handmade Toys in the USA from the CPSIA.

For some suggested improvements:  Possible Solutions to Improve the CPSIA.

What can you do to help? Write to your Congress Person or Senator to request a change to the CPSIA which would exclude toys made in the US, Canada or Europe.  Here is a sample letter, or compose your own.

Useful links:

Find your Congress Person

Find your Senator

++++++++

++++++++

8 Responses to “Our Last Selecta Toy”

1. Erika says:

So I have a friend who lives in London…if I wanted to order one of these toys, could I have it shipped to her and then she mail it to me here in the US?
    Do they have an order page (I looked around on their website but couldn’t see a “add to my cart” button)?
    How did you get their products?
    Thanks!
    (ps-this is my first comment on your blog…I’m a “blog stocker” but don’t leave comments very often :-)

Thanks for your comment! The Selecta site does not sell the toys, but many high-end toy stores do, as well as Amazon. I would advise Googling “Selecta” to see what you come up with. The toys will still be available in Europe and elsewhere, just not the U.S. A friend in London should be able to send a toy. Also, I checked Amazon U.K. and they sell them, and will ship to the U.S. (although, obviously, international shipping can be costly).

3. Kara says:

We’ve bought a few things and squirreled them away for later. I have been wondering if they will still distribute in Canada? Or is NAFTA going to somehow come into play in all of this requiring Canadian products to be subject to the same testing/labeling requirements?

Karas last blog post..Snow day on the bayou

4. Mary says:

I’ve been hearing a lot about that law lately, and it doesn’t sound good. Thanks for linking us to a info about what we can do about it.
    It’s also my first time commenting, I’m also such a lurker and not commenter. But I really do enjoy your posts. Thanks.
    BTW, my twins also turned 3 on the 2nd.

5. nicole says:

Hi!

I just found your site via whip up and am slowly making my way through your archives. I love your balancing bird!

So, I’m from germany, actually I’m in germany. Do you happen to know my favourite toy brand? It’s HABA. They make toys very similar to those made by Selecta. I’m not sure if they sell outside of germany/EU but you might check them out via google.

And if worst comes to worst, I’d be totally up for buying and shipping stuff to you from here. I know how much it can suck to not be able to buy what you’d like because the goods aren’t being shipped internationally ;-)

Take care and keep up the good work!
    Nicole

6. Rebekah says:

HI, I found your site while trying to find the Selecta website. I can’t seem to find it by googling it. Do you happen to know it? Thanks so much!

Hi Rebekah,