Removing a Potholder From a Loom

By , January 1, 2008 6:59 pm

This is a public service post for all the people who find me by Googling something like: “taking potholder off loom” and for the one or two people who have left comments asking me how to take it off. It is really quite easy:

You will need the hook that came with the loom or a crochet hook.

Start at a corner and pull the second loop in the row, through the first loop. Then you pull the third loop through the second, the fourth through the third, etc. etc. all the way around the pot holder. It will be kind of a linked chain around the edge like in the photo.

You will eventually end up with only one final loop. That is the loop that you can use to hang the potholder on a hook.

If you have any other questions about it, feel free to comment or email me (my email is in the right sidebar).

Hope this helps!

30 Responses to “Removing a Potholder From a Loom”

1. [...] Removing a Potholder From a Loom [...]

2. [...] Wondering how to remove it from the loom? Read my post: Removing a Potholder From a Loom. [...]

3. [...] If you are looking for instructions for removing a potholder from the loom, see my post: How to Remove a Potholder From a Loom. [...]

4. Martha says:

Hi… I am having difficulty removing the loops off the loom. I’m okay till I get to the last side, then all the loops jump off the pegs, making it impossible to continue because it becomes unraveled. Help! Thanks.

5. I am useing nylon loops . Is their any way to make them as large as cotton potholders ? They are shrinking when I remove them from the loom.

6. Karen says:

Thank you! I was going crazy trying to figure out this pot holder. It’s nice to know I’m not the only mom that couldn’t figure this out without the directions!!!!

7. [...] Finally, a few posts of mine about Potholder Looms:  Potholders “Loom” in Your Future and Removing a Potholder From a Loom. [...]

8. grandma judy klein says:

imagine getting all the way to the end and you just don;t remember how to remove the yarn from the loom! I promised my granddaughter that I’d have the answer soon. The problem is that I still can’t figure it out based on these illustrations. Would you please show a detailed one which shows the hook going into a few of the loops? Thankyou so much.

9. Mary E. says:

I don’t get it! I’ll try again.

10. Mary E. says:

I’ve got it now!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Brittany says:

Thank you for this tutorial! My daughter has been working on a potholder and I couldn’t remember how to finish it off.

12. Linda says:

Thank you! This was a huge help! My daughter finished her potholder and I knew you put loop through loop but couldn’t remember how to get started.

Mom Unplugged Reply:

Oh I am so glad! I hope the potholder turned out nicely. Thanks very much for the comment!

13. Nan Hunt says:

Have lost my postholder hook. Where can I purchase just the hook. Thanks.

Mom Unplugged Reply:

Hi Nan, I would suggest contacting the manufacturer of your loom to see if they have hooks available for purchase. Harrisville Designs seems to be one of the more common loom manufacturers if you don’t know who made yours. Their contact info is here: http://www.harrisville.com/contact-us.htm
    If you are feeling adventurous, you could also trying making one yourself by bending a wire coat hanger. Good luck!

14. Rhonda says:

I too am having trouble doing the last row. I don’t see the answer to this question. Thank you. Rhona

15. Suz says:

I also cannot keep the last row of loops from popping off the loom. What do I do?
    Suz

16. Alicia says:

OOOO Thank you! I was just about to throw the loom in the front yard and be done with it. My daughter is so pleased with herself now. Thank you so much!

17. ttigresa says:

I still don’t see how this last loop will be “fastened” in place without all the other loops slipping from their new home. Are we supposed to tie it off somehow? (I bought the loom and some loops from a yard sale with no instructions and my 8 year old is currently making potholders for family members for Christmas. I just need to know how to end it so that her hard work is not undone.)

Mom Unplugged Reply:

When you pull the last loop through, pull it tightly. This will cinch all the other loops and nothing should slip off. Hope this helps!

18. KIM says:

you rock. got to the end and could not remember what to do. had thrown out the box. thanks so much!!

19. Cheryl says:

Some how I always end up with 2 loops.. Not sure what I am doing wrong. so I tied them in a bow and its really cute! haha

20. Susie says:

Thank you for that strange request. I didn’t think I would find the answer. My 8 year stepdaughter made a pot holder for her dad for fathers day, “I’m sure it was her mothers idea” “no instructions came with it” so it came here on the loom. LOL so thank you so much, now I have to get a hook..:)

Susie

21. Janice Black says:

A couple of quick notes: using a large crochet hook, if you have one, to slip one loop through the next makes that part much easier. To those who worry about the last knot’s slipping out later: after I pull the last loop through the one before it, I wrap it around and pull it through one more time to make it a little more secure. Finally, although there is no easy way to get that row of loops off without having them jump off and unravel, it does help a little if you slip your fingers into the edge and slide the final, hmm, not sure what to call it, but . . . the last piece that is stretched all the way across . . . as far away from the loom pegs as possible before you begin to release that last row of loops. If you still just can’t get it to work, try weaving one less strip in the first place (leaving the end pegs blank) so that you will have larger loops to work with when it comes time to take the potholder off the loops. Hope this is helpful.

Mom Unplugged Reply:

Thank you so much for your tips! It is a bit tricky to remove the potholder without having everything slip off at the wrong time. I’ll give our ideas a try next time I make one of these. Thanks again for your contribution to this post!

22. Julie says:

Where did you find this loom? We just opened one I bought for my daughter but it has fewer pegs so the potholder is very small. Yours looks just like the one I had as a kid. Would like to find that one. :)

23. Caroline says:

I take a few rubberbands and place them across the pegs on each side to help hold the loops on while I’m working. Also, you don’t really need the hook to finish off a potholder; I just use my fingers.

24. Patti says:

I was just trying this thing out before I show my five year old granddaughter(just to see if I could do it). I had the same problem taking off the last two sides. I studied it for a bit and I think I’ve come up with something of a solution. I stretched a rubber band across each of the last two sides to keep the stitches down and secured. When I got to a banded side, I’d just slide the rubber band down a few teeth releasing stitches to be worked and leaving the rest on hold. Anyway, it worked for me-I got the thing off- and I hope this helpful to someone. Happy looping!

25. Jayne says:

What an amazing site for people who need a little boost! My nine year old granddaughter came outside with a container where I was working on a card making project. The container held all the makings for making pot holders; except the instructions. We were fine till it came to taking it off. Your site gave precise instructions and now she’s on potholder number two! Many thanks!